Replacement or repair for Kayline Top

City
Chattanooga
State
TN
Well, another thing that has to be repaired.....

I took off the half cab soft top earlier this year, and now the weather is getting a little cooler so I decided to put the top back on. Overall it is in pretty good shape, but apparently the threads have dry rotted, all the velcro strips that wrap around the hardware just came out like it wasn't even sewed.. better to find out now than going down the road and totally come apart. These are the thread on the top of top that came loose.

So, thought I would just buy another half soft top online, that apparently isn't going to happen, can't find any out there. Any suggestions or can the top be re-sewn? This must have been the original top with the 1981 scrambler.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Your Kayline is certainly not the original top. It would have come with a Whitco top from the factory (neither of these are made any more). Kayline tops were made under the name STC for a while after Kayline went out of business (same top differnet name), but this company also went under. The only soft half top I know of being made today is by Rhinyl, and I can't say I like the design very much.
http://b-dco.com/cj-8-scrambler-half-cab-w-tonneau/.

There are still some NOS Whitco tops that come up for sale from time to time on Craigs List, but you may need to hunt for them (and your Kayline frame is not compatible with Whitco so you would need the top and the frame).

Your idea of resewing the top you have may be the best bet. As long as the fabric is not ripped, it should be reparable by a boat shop or upholstery shop.

City
Chattanooga
State
TN
I was able to get re-stitched by A2Z canvas, $45. Not too bad and should last a few years longer before needing replaced.