• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Replacement Power Steering Box

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
I shop a lot at NAPA because there's a few people that actually can talk about cars and car parts there. Also, their parts seem to be of a better quality than some other places that spend more time on marketing than actual service.

NAPA sells this remanufactured power steering box for my 1984 CJ-8.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PNB391034

Most other power steering boxes that I've found on line are much more expensive. Anybody know why? Anybody use this particular box from NAPA. I don't need these super duty boxes...I'm only going to be running 33" tires. I have 33" on my 1981 scrambler with the original steering box and it's fine even with the front locker.

I also have old power steering boxes from 1992 and 1995 cherokees. Can I use that and save some $$$? I'm probably going to end up with an XJ steering column so I know couplers, hoses, and pitman arms may not all match up.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
That's less than the one I bought from the NAPA store. I think that box was used on other cars. I used a box from an 87 Wrangler on a CJ, along with the column and couplers, and only had to grind a little off the box to fit.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
That's less than the one I bought from the NAPA store. I think that box was used on other cars. I used a box from an 87 Wrangler on a CJ, along with the column and couplers, and only had to grind a little off the box to fit.
So the one you bought from NAPA was of good quality? Any particular reason you used one from an '87 wrangler (was it the only one available?)?

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
I had an 87 Wrangler parts car and a Cj5 parts car when I was in CA. When I decided to move to OR, I assembled the CJ5 with the parts I had and took it with me. Emission rules are friendlier in OR. The new box from NAPA looks good, but it's in a Scrambler I haven't completed yet.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
You might check out the Hummer box. I've read about it, never done it, but apparently it's a better replacement.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
The H1 Hummer box is an excelent option but getting pretty hard to find, and definitely not getting any cheaper.

Mike's8

City
Ranchos de Taos
State
NM
I'll give a shout out for NAPA, I've been dealing with my local NAPA Auto Parts for the past 25 years getting parts for all sorts of project vehicles. In that time I've found all their parts to be top notch and can't think of one problem. If I need a steering box for my 8 it will come from NAPA!

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I have been using NAPA rebuilt PS boxes, no problems :thumbsup:

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
The H1 Hummer box is an excelent option but getting pretty hard to find, and definitely not getting any cheaper.
Spieg, do you have details on a part number? I haven't gotten around to finding one but I'd like to put on in during the restoration. Appreciate it!

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
27-7595 is the most common part# used or referenced by most brands.

I've heard that re-mans from Lares have been available recently, but Cardone and MasterPro have been on backorder for a long time.

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
27-7595 is the most common part# used or referenced by most brands.

I've heard that re-mans from Lares have been available recently, but Cardone and MasterPro have been on backorder for a long time.

Thanks, I'll have a look. There seems to be mixed reviews on this "upgrade", so I'll give it some thought.