revolver shackles

chef717

Basic User
City
clearwater
State
fl
anyone running revolver shackles ? looking for some more flex without going spring or coil over. i was thinking of going to 35s from 33s but am concerned about axle breakage.i have a trussed amc 20 with mosers and a 30 up front.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Search on them, here and elsewhere. I don't have first hand experience, but there are a lot of people that have bad things to say about them. The big issue is driveshaft problems from uncontrolled droop.

The thing I don't get is the theory behind the way that they work considering what you're trying to get out of them. A hinge offers no resistance when opening and closing, unlike the spring when it flexes/un-flexes. So even though you get more droop, the tire has nothing holding the tire to to ground other than it's weight (and part of the spring and axle's weight, but that's still not much). The spring is not compressed at all (it has to go to full droop before the revolver opens), so no part of the vehicle's weight or any spring force is transferred to the tire, so you have no traction from that tire. Without some weight on the tire, there's no traction (well, a tiny amount), so no power from that wheel, so what's the difference if it's flexing to touch if it's not doing any real good? May as well be hanging in mid-air. Seems like a bad trade for the possible problems they can cause.

v2win

Legacy Registered User
City
Sterling Heights
State
MI
I ran them on all four corners and kept breaking the spring hangers on the front. Other than that they seem to work well.

blue_osiris1

US Navy Sailor
City
Fort Gordon
State
GA
running on all 4 corners with stock axles and 4" suspension and 3" body lifts and 35's and haven't broken anything yet and they've worked well for me. no complaints at all with them