• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Rhino liner vs. generics-which is best?

Sean12345

Basic User
I am starting to prep the interior for a spray on/roll on liner. I have seen cheaper liners at the autoparts stores. I would think the brand name ones are better but am I right? Has anyone used the less expsensive liners? If so, how did they hold up?

Last edited:

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
I've had experience with both and since your in the south like i am then if time isn't an issue then the herciliner will work if you don't mind the wait time-mine took three days to cure because the humidity is so high here in the south-Rhino is good but it will also need to cure for at least 24 to 36 hours indoors-if you have a line-x dealer in your area i'd use them-It's harder than the Rhino and heciliner and there is no cure time when they get through shooting it you can start reasembly when you get it home-hope this is some help-JC:p

Firetruck41

Scramblerless
City
Camas
State
WA
I haven't lined my jeep yet but have looked into it. There are basically two types of professionally sprayed in liner hot and cold application. The hot is Line-x and (I forget the names of the other brands) They look great and are harder and have a more "plastic" feel, seem to be very durable. The cold application is Rhino, etc. they may take a little longer to cure and have a more "rubber" like texture, and are very durable as well. Older rhinolined beds I have seen did not have as uniform a look to it.

When I ever have the money, hopefully in the next few decades;) , I will go with Rhino, I have friends with both types, hot and cold, and prefer the slightly softer, rubbery texture of rhino, things don't slide around in the back as much as with the Line-X. Also the Rhino seems to have a much better uniform texture to it than it had in the early days. I got a quote from one Rhino dealer, $550, with warranty.

Regarding the roll in DIY liners, the thing I don't like about them is, I researched the thickness of them and you have to do something like ten or twenty coats (can't remember the exact number :( ) to get the thickness of Rhino or Line-X. But it is an economical alternative for some bed/tub protection.

Ben

RobF

Basic User
City
Barnes
State
KS
The previous owner had lined the entire inside of my tub with a roll on liner(can't remember which one) and it isn't bad. I do like it much more than carpet as I can just spray out the jeep when it's dirty inside. The down side is that it doesn't adhere well along edges, it's peeling away from all the edges. On the flat surfaces it doesn't peel or bubble and it's thick and tough. It also insulates from road noise suprisingly well. Hopefully someday I can afford to Line-X the whole thing, inside and out. A friend recently did that to his 8 and it came out awesome.

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
Hey Robin, is that friend, Mike from Topeka? I do like the look of his and i'm sure it was not cheap.

RobF

Basic User
City
Barnes
State
KS
Yup, that's Mike's 8 I'm refering to. I do like it, but I bet it was expensive, although I've heard that Line-X is cheaper than Rhino but don't know for sure. It's definately a very hard finish, I just wonder if it could crack from hard trail use:confused: