RispoNY's Scrambler Build Thread - The 'Kit' Scrambler w/ Postal Top (PIC HEAVY)

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
Hey guys, I've decided to finally create a build thread on my 82 that I purchased this August from Texas. It's been in slightly in the works since then but now I'm fully underway so it was time to start chronicling the build! I'm relatively new to the whole Jeep game as I only purchased my first scrambler in October of 2012 whilst I was in school down in Florida. That jeep has became my daily driver and I did a cosmetic restoration to it while I attended college. Then this summer, I saw an ebay ad for a fully disassembled 82 that was in the process of restoration before the PO got tired and sold it. The price was absolutely unbeatable so I jumped on it. Here is my road-trip thread in case anyone missed it:

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthrea...k-up-an-82-Collins-Bros-Postal-Top&highlight=

My daily driver is a 4cyl 81 with a 2.5" lift, 32x11.50's and that's about it. Nothing crazy and it runs great with only about 51k miles on it. On that restoration, I created a blog for it for my friends and family to see. This time I'm going to fill you guys in step by step! Here is a pic of my DD and in my signature you can find the blog in case your interested..

On this "new" scrambler I'd like to spice things up a bit. I picked up an AMC 360 down in florida for $100 before I left in June and planned to put it in the 81 but now that I have the 82, it's going to go in there. Plus, I actually really love my little 4 banger. The engine just got completed last week so the rebuild is going to commence this weekend. I'm aiming for wild rather than mild. Other things include a 4-4.5" BDS lift and hopefully fit it to 35"s. Winch is a definite, I just have to decide which one. Stinger in front, swing out tire-carrier in rear, still deciding which brand. So much racing through my head but there is a lot lot more. Stay tuned.

Oh, yeah and about that postal top....:bacon: I was scouring cragislist one day in Alaska just to see how common postal were there and came across someone selling some misc CJ parts. In the far right corner of one of the pictures, I spotted what looked like a postal rear barn door so I gave the guy a call. Turns out it was Rob (AK-RWC)! After a bunch of talking, we finally worked things out and I had it shipped to me! When it arrived, I was speechless. These things really are incredible in person! Anyways, that's going on the 82 as well, just have to do a little work on it first!

I've never tackled a project as large and as complex as this so bare with me! I'm going to have a lot of questions but I'l make up for it with tons of pictures, I know you guys love those!

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
Here's the frame POR15'ed, I/m gunna strip it and go the SPI route..I want to be extra safe (Note the extra exhaust hanger welded to the passenger side)

Here's the tub, I since got it blasted but this is how I got it. Already primed, rust free, and straight!

Here are the mass of parts sitting in the garage! So many still in the box!

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
Here's how the postal top arrived!

And here's how it sits in my garage for now...

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Once again, a sweet garage post. And of course it wouldn't be complete without a pony ;):)

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
No way. ;) Im talking about this innocent pony hanging out amongst a sea of scrambler parts ..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389927275.357650.jpg

:)

zero2wow

SOA old xprez...
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Vancouver
State
WA
:woohoo: Way Cool.. The build thread journey begins. ... A dream not to long ago from the Scrambler Hot Wheels to here. 1st we have dreams and then we make them happen. Way to go. :thumbsup:
Hopefull we get a chance to hook up in Moab this year:cheers:
Great score on that top :drool:

z2w

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
It's been a while since those pictures were taken and a lot has happened. Where to begin.....I found the best painter in my area who does some really beautiful work. I saw some hotrods he's done and it's really amazing. He's located 2 miles from my garage out in Long Island. The shop is called VAV Classics. And I found supposedly the best machinist in the east coast to do my engine work. He's an artist. He's located 15 minutes from the garage. That shop is called Hampton Engine. That for me is the hardest part of a build, finding people who I could trust and who do excellent work at a fair price. Now for the easy stuff...

As mentioned, I found an AMC 360 down in florida for $100 and jumped on it. It was fully dressed up and super clean. However, when I tore into it, I found that it was already bored .40 over. Not what I was hoping for but whatever. Also, the crank was already ground .20 under and needed more work. I brought it to my machinist and got a bunch of things done. First, he hooked me up with a brand new crank, $250 and 10/10. I was pretty happy with that and plus, it puts the price of the engine at still only $350 which is fair for a 360 in my opinion. The cylinders wouldn't clean up with just a hone so we had to go with .60 over. I don't know how I feel about that but I've heard that AMC blocks can even handle .90 without any overheating issues because they have super thick walls. True? Aside from that, he also did other basic work like rod reconditioning, line honing, and what not. It came out amazing. Here are some pictures of the block after teardown and after the engine work

How I got it:

After Tear Down in my living room

After Engine Work

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
For engine parts, I'm going to go with:

CompCams 262H Cam - heard great things about this one and was told it's perfect for my on/off road application
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k10-215-5/overview/
cca-k12-210-2_w.jpg

Compcams Magnum roller rockers - because yeah!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-rpm1410-16/overview/
CCA-RP1622-16.jpg

Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Intake - can't go wrong with that
edl-2131.jpg

Bulltear's Timing Cover Kit and Water Pump - old oil pump housing was shot and couldn't be saved so I figured why not treat myself and replace the whole shebang
pumpkit2.jpg btcooler.jpg
Bulltear's Serpentine Kit - I am absolutely ecstatic for this, I cannot wait. Haven't purchase yet
acserpweb.jpg
DUI HEi Distributor - heard great things but it's very very expensive? Haven't purchase yet. (Black or Red cap)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dui-408212bk/overview/
dui-127212bk_w.jpg

Edelbrock Electric Fuel Pump - haven't purchased yet
edl-1791_w.jpg

Edelbrock's finned valve covers and air cleaner - haven't purchase yet. still deciding on oval or round, I think oval...Question, I've seen similar on amc's in cj's...no clearance issues, correct?
edl-41993_w.jpg edl-41173_w.jpg edl-41153_w.jpg

I'm still deciding/researching what alternator and starter, and can't decide if I should do AC or not...pretty sure I wont. Also, I'm looking for a bolt kit for the engine, one that would include everything from the timing chain cover to oil pan to valve covers to everything. I found one off ebay but it look's a little "cheap"...Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300309393427?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I love the pic of your living room! I wish I could do that kind of work in mine! The wife would NOT be happy!

Check ARP for bolt kits. 12-point bolts are best for oil pan/valve covers/intake.

I can get you all the specs on my recent 360 build when I get home. I can't remember it all off the top of my head.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
Wow! Lots to say:
- I love that you're assembling the engine in your living room, with a glass of wine!
- .060 over is pushing it with a 360, but you should be alright so long as you don't try to push the rest of the engine with a huge cam, high compression, drag-racing, etc.. If I was building a 360 to race, I'd want a different block and keep is under .040. I'd never go .060 with a 401 though.
- You're doing just fine at $350 for a complete 360 that has a brand new crank.
- I was wondering about the Mopar tag too. I know Chrysler must have cast a few of the AMC blocks because they switched the casting from "360" to "5.9L" but they also probably still had several AMC blocks laying around. Maybe the build-date reflects the date the engine was assembled for a warranty-replacement rather than the date the block was cast/machined? That one's interesting! You should research and give us an update. If you have an AMC factory replacement block, there shouldn't be a displacement cast into the side, and you'll have the thicker webbing of a 401 around the mains.
- I'm 90% certain that's the same cam I'm running in my 401; the 262XE. I like it!
- If you haven't ordered your rockers yet, the AMC Forum guys swear by the Harland Sharps, since they're the only ones actually designed for AMC rather than just re-boxed Chevy. That being said, I got a good deal on Crane roller-rockers and they work just fine too. I think you'll be good with the Comp Cams.
- The BullTear timing cover kit is t!ts. I'm jealous, and have debated going to this for a number of years. I want to know how your warm idle pressure works out. Did you order the nickel-plated one?
- Somebody else here just did the serpentine kit on a 304, with pics. It's also on my long-term wish list.
- I'm running a DUI. No regrets. It's a quality product, and DUI stands by their work. My only comment about it doesn't apply to you as it relates to a minor interference due to my Indy heads.
- Ditto on the ARP bolt kits for critical components. The rest of that eBay kit looks fine. Just be mindful that stainless is VERY hard, and if you cross-thread or gall it, you'll be crying about the broken/shattered bolt and the end you can't get out. If you still have your original bolts, I'd honestly just use them.

Make sure you paint it AMC blue! BullTear sells the correct paint.

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
In regards to the jeep, everything has been smooth sailing..actually not really, at all. So I brought the tub to my painter and he told me that he would not be able to spray over the existing primer. Anyways, the painted 1. he never likes to do that because he can't guarantee the outcome 2. it was laquer primer! :crazy: So I had to get the tub sandblasted. This was good news because the inside was POR-15'ed which I didn't want at all so I blasted it off. After seeing some of your guys' pictures of painted interiors without liner, I fell in love and decided that's what I'd do with this tub.

Anyways...the only sand blaster that I could find out in long island was super busy, so we scheduled an appointment 2 weeks from when i spoke with him. I told him the tub was sitting on sawhorses outside and ready to be blasted when he came i.e. no moving it around or prep work...So a couple days later, he had a client cancel and decided that it would be a good idea to just swing by my place and blast it for him and i'd pay him later. He blasted the tub inside and out and left. Without putting any sealer on it or protection or cover or anything! When I received his voicemail I flipped out. It just so happens that I had just left on a trip for 10 days and would not be able to get back to it to, leaving it completely exposed to the elements for at least a week...and yes it rained. A lot.

I was terrified to see the tub, but it actually wasn't THAT bad, just covered in a light surface rust. I called my painter and explained the situation and he told me that it wouldn't be a problem, it would just need a light sanding which was what they would do anyways before priming. Here are some pictures...it sure does look worse then before :shrug:

During Blasting:
photo 4-5.JPG photo 5-2.JPG
How it looked when I got back from my trip:

Did some light sanding to make it look presentable and then loaded it up on the trailer to bring it to the painter:

At the painter, looks much better after I sanded it a little..they'll do the rest

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
I love the pic of your living room! I wish I could do that kind of work in mine! The wife would NOT be happy!

Check ARP for bolt kits. 12-point bolts are best for oil pan/valve covers/intake.

I can get you all the specs on my recent 360 build when I get home. I can't remember it all off the top of my head.
Haha thanks! I really appreciate the input as this is all super new to me. Never rebuilt a car or broken into an engine, and man is this stuff fun! I already went with ARP on the rocker studs and may possibly do so on the heads as well, but there's some debate over on the AMC forum of whether this is a good idea or not so Im still researching. ..thoughts?

And yeah, specs and pics on that 360 would be amazing!

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
Wow! Lots to say:
- I love that you're assembling the engine in your living room, with a glass of wine!
- .060 over is pushing it with a 360, but you should be alright so long as you don't try to push the rest of the engine with a huge cam, high compression, drag-racing, etc.. If I was building a 360 to race, I'd want a different block and keep is under .040. I'd never go .060 with a 401 though.
- You're doing just fine at $350 for a complete 360 that has a brand new crank.
- I was wondering about the Mopar tag too. I know Chrysler must have cast a few of the AMC blocks because they switched the casting from "360" to "5.9L" but they also probably still had several AMC blocks laying around. Maybe the build-date reflects the date the engine was assembled for a warranty-replacement rather than the date the block was cast/machined? That one's interesting! You should research and give us an update. If you have an AMC factory replacement block, there shouldn't be a displacement cast into the side, and you'll have the thicker webbing of a 401 around the mains.
- I'm 90% certain that's the same cam I'm running in my 401; the 262XE. I like it!
- If you haven't ordered your rockers yet, the AMC Forum guys swear by the Harland Sharps, since they're the only ones actually designed for AMC rather than just re-boxed Chevy. That being said, I got a good deal on Crane roller-rockers and they work just fine too. I think you'll be good with the Comp Cams.
- The BullTear timing cover kit is t!ts. I'm jealous, and have debated going to this for a number of years. I want to know how your warm idle pressure works out. Did you order the nickel-plated one?
- Somebody else here just did the serpentine kit on a 304, with pics. It's also on my long-term wish list.
- I'm running a DUI. No regrets. It's a quality product, and DUI stands by their work. My only comment about it doesn't apply to you as it relates to a minor interference due to my Indy heads.
- Ditto on the ARP bolt kits for critical components. The rest of that eBay kit looks fine. Just be mindful that stainless is VERY hard, and if you cross-thread or gall it, you'll be crying about the broken/shattered bolt and the end you can't get out. If you still have your original bolts, I'd honestly just use them.

Make sure you paint it AMC blue! BullTear sells the correct paint.
Wow Thanks!!! I plan on doing so light trail driving, not by choice though! There really is no place within 4 hours of me to go wheeling but I'd like to be able to keep up with you guys during Nationals! The cam has me excited because it seems perfect for that, I've only heard great things from the 262 and would love to hear your full input. It took me a while to chose the right one and I'm glad I know at least one other person with it.

My engine has the 5.9L casting which came from 88-91 in the Wagoneers. Makes sense because my engine came out of an 89. From what I've read so far, that seems to be a myth that there were no castings on the side of replacement blocks, some came with, some came without, some came bored already, some didnt. Not sure what I believe but no castings makes more sense..

About the rockers, I've read the same thing about Scorpion rockers, the ones on Bulltear in the link below? I figured as long as the rockers come from a notable brand, they should be sufficient. Is it worth returning the compcams magnum kit and getting rockers, pushrods, etc. separately?
http://www.bulltear.com/catalog/pro...d=255&osCsid=6bb138876b8bb1e00c900a1a15a45db9

I have all the original bolts, the problem is that the plastic divider tray cracked and broke so they alllllll got mixed up. It's really a nightmare thinking about going through all 200+ bolts trying to figure out which goes where and why, plus I feel they just wouldn't do the engine justice. For the price of the stainless kit ($50), I might just go with that. Plus, they'd look great!