• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Rosco1974's 1985 CJ7 Project

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
So sorry to see that. Any idea why that happened?

Prep or paint was too soft and it shrunk.

Its enamel so its picky. I understand the cure time before clear, but the mfg says 48 hours. Experienced people said 10 days. I waited 16 days. Humidity was not an issue. Paint was shot out of the sun in 80° weather. The way it came off so clean tells me something in the prep, but I was careful. The paint was hard and would hardly burn through during prep so I dont know...

Last edited:

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Prep or paint was too soft and it shrunk.

Its enamel so its picky. I understand the cure time before clear, but the mfg says 48 hours. Experienced people said 10 days. I waited 16 days. Humidity was not an issue. Paint was shot out of the sun in 80° weather. The way it came off so clean tells me something in the prep, but I was careful. The paint was hard and would hardly burn through during prep so I dont know...
Man, so frustrating!! I sure hope you can resolve that. Keep us posted.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Go to Autobody101.com. Post under auto body and paint. Good group of guys with a ton of knowledge. They'll ask questions and you should get some good answers. Groups a lot like this group. Best to find out before you move on.