Rubicon Express 4.5 Lift Install Question

adman02

Basic User
City
Durham
State
nc
I'm about to install the RE 4.5 lift on my CJ8. I seem to recall reading somewhere (maybe on this forum) that the transfer case drop is unnecessary for scramblers due to the length of the drivetrain. Any thoughts or advice on this before I get started?

adman02

Basic User
City
Durham
State
nc
Not yet. I got wrapped up in getting the steering box swapped out (going from manual to power). Now I'm traveling for work for a couple of weeks. If you're thinking of buying the RE lift kit, do it before the end of October. They're running a promotion and you can save about 10% on the price.

adman02

Basic User
City
Durham
State
nc
Haven't installed this yet (work is busy), but I have a wild idea that I wanted to run by you guys. I have swapped in an AMC304 and will likely run and 8274 winch. I'm worried that the front will squat. What if I swapped the spring packs - 6 springs up front and 5 springs in the rear. Do you think that will work? Do you see any issues with this setup?

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Haven't installed this yet (work is busy), but I have a wild idea that I wanted to run by you guys. I have swapped in an AMC304 and will likely run and 8274 winch. I'm worried that the front will squat. What if I swapped the spring packs - 6 springs up front and 5 springs in the rear. Do you think that will work? Do you see any issues with this setup?
I think that will just make the rear squat.....

KK

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I run the rear springs front and rear. It sort of works.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
RE springs are soft to start with, the Scrambler’s extra booty needs the rear springs in the rear. Either do shackle or add a leaf in front if you start seeing squat IMO.

Problem with shackle in front is that I assume they’re still using the “conversion” shackle that’s CJ width at the hanger and YJ at the spring? That setup trashes the hanger bushings quickly in my experience, I went through a number of them due to the extra leverage on the smaller bushing. Going to a longer shackle would require going to a YJ shackle hanger too (don’t know that you’d find a longer conversion shackle anyway). Not a big deal, but just FYI. I don’t think it’s a bad idea to just go with YJ hangers and shackles anyway after what I found with my RE lift wearing out those bushings. :shrug:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Hi, John. This is Sean from Wheelin'4Hope (Blue CJ7). Can you elaborate? Why does it sort of work?
Hey Sean, I didn’t know that you snuck on here with us eights. LOL....

I say it sort of works, in my case, because I’ve never gotten as much lift as everyone else seems to get, front and rear. Plus, mine, I’m sure, have sagged over the years, that added to the V-8 and winch.