Rust Never Sleeps - 84 Rebuild

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Looks like you have everything under control. Sam installed one in his 8 several years ago and has no issues. Good choice.:wave:

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
Thanks MrBeep.

Gueon, no intestinal fortitude required. Just an illusion that you have enough tools to make it seem like an easy upgrade ;0 I have muscles aching in places I forgot I had!

Unfortunately I didn't take a finished pic of the Dana 300 before hoisting it back into the Jeep... Fit almost perfectly so far. A little interference with the passenger side exhaust pipe, but I have a ways to go before addressing that.

So the NV3550 is 1.45 longer than the T-5. Add 3/4" for the adapter, and another 3/8" for the clocking ring, and the entire package is just a hair over 2 1/2" longer than what I pulled out of her. Weirdest thing is that the T-5 shifter was right at 13" back from the back edge of the bell housing to the center of the stick. The NV3550 and the adapter put the shifter for the NV3550 in the same exact spot!

One remaining obstacle was the t-case shifter was moved back considerably. Solution is that I am going to twin stick it. Ordered up a Curry twin stick and boot. 199.00 from Quadratec, and 31.99 respectively. This looks like it may put the shifters in the same spot as original by using the extension that moves the sticks forward.

I had planned on just using a stock trans mount, but I ordered a urethane Trans mount instead.48.99

Come on Fed Ex!

Last edited:

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
Worked on the skid plate and trans mount today. Started off by mounting up the skid, and marking the front to rear position, and centerline of skid. Removed the skid to the workbench and drilled the four trans mount holes. They ended up at the very rear of my TDK skid. I'm not sure how this would mate to the stock skid.

image.jpg

This is looking down thru the hump cover. I have blue towels stuffed into the shifter mounting position. Dumb luck is better than no luck:woohoo:

image.jpg

View of the skid and trans mount from the front right. Drain hole for the NV landed in a great spot too!

image.jpg

Trans topped up with fluid, and my B&M shifter in place. (Summit 199.00) I also routed the D300 vent line, the 4WD switch wire, and the reverse lights switch wire loom.

image.jpg

Had to replace the stock reverse light connector with a male weather pack connector which plugs right into the NV switch.

image.jpg

Last edited:

ajmaudio

Basic User
City
nashville
State
tn
NIce work... I noticed earlier in the thread you said you replaced a rear quarter and corner.. what parts did you use? Were they original gauge? good fit? Any pics? Ok im done lol

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
ajmaudio yes I did replace the quarter and the left rear corner. I got both from 4wd hardware. The Corner was great fit very well. The quarter panel not so much... I actually had to cut the top rail off the donor jeep to replace the top rail on the new panel. The profile was way off. This picture shows the new corner and quarter panel with the weld line about an inch below the top rail.

image.jpg

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
Very close to the same gauge as far as I could tell.

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
Well....got her back together last weekend...

New Tom Woods shafts front and back, for some reason they built the rear with a CV. Oops I don't have a yoke that fits the CV shaft...Called them and got a yoke for 50.00. All in at about 550.00. I do plan to send them my old shafts to be resized. They told me they would do it for 70.00 each.

Finally all back together and thoughts of going around the block...she was a big no go. I had some ungodly noises when I engaged the clutch.

Long story short...and after a ton of research...I found this short little sentence on Novaks site that states you need to have a slightly different input shaft for the Dana 300 to mate to the NV3550:banghead:

image.jpg

So 200.00 and a few days later it arrived.

"Shafted" again...:(

Out comes the transfer case!

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
While waiting for parts this week I finished up the boots for the shifters. Made a small plate to match the bottom of the original D300 shifter cover. I also fabbed an oval piece to fit into the Currie boot. I purchased a Lokar boot from Summit to cover the B&M shifter. The OE shifter knob fit just fine. I just had to adjust the center button. I also had to trim the original hump cover slightly, but I really like the finished look and functionality. Don't mind the desert dust in the cab it has been windy here lately...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
:woot:

After cleaning up the garage, and the Scrambler (desert dust) we went for a ride this morning! Wife and I took the Scrambler to breakfast. The NV3550 shifts great! The B&M shifter takes a little getting used to, but it is nice and tight, and feels more "modern" if that makes sense. It definitely has a very short throw, and feels very precise. I ended up spending a lot more time and money than I thought I would, but now every component on my Scrambler has finally been replaced or rebuilt. I guess I could have saved here and there but after all is said and done I would do it again and I am extremely pleased with the result.

Bonus!!!! I can finally see the top of my workbench again!!!

image.jpg

Last edited:

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Congratulations! :bacon: It sure has come a long way. Now is the good part of Scrambling, enjoy ! :wave:

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
Thanks Toby! To be honest I have enjoyed the whole journey of getting this 8 to where it is today. And I still have more plans for her! I still remember the day the truck delivered it from you with the gas can wired in the engine compartment. She fired up, and made it up my driveway in low. Clutch chattering the whole time. Since then I have had many enjoyable hours of tinkering, researching (on CJ-8.com), scheming, driving, and waiting impatiently for parts to show up.

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
Well...last weekend I decided to fabricate a fan shroud for my 8. A stock shroud just did not fit, as it seems my fan center is about an inch lower than the stock CJ with a V8 location. I researched online, and found several articles on building fiberglass and aluminum shrouds. I finally decided on trying my hand with fiberglass. Ended up spending about 120.00 on materials. Including 1/4" particle board, resin, fiberglass, and a polyester t-shirt. I made the mold from the particle board, a few scrap 2x4's, and the t-shirt material. Coated it with resin, and then laid up three layers of fiberglass mat, and reinforcing with fiberglass cloth in a few areas. I had planned on skimming it with bondo, and smoothing it out, but I decided to just paint it in the end.
Believe me I am no Jscherb with fiberglass, but I think it turned out great! It does look a little better in person than in the pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Well...last weekend I decided to fabricate a fan shroud for my 8. A stock shroud just did not fit, as it seems my fan center is about an inch lower than the stock CJ with a V8 location. I researched online, and found several articles on building fiberglass and aluminum shrouds. I finally decided on trying my hand with fiberglass. Ended up spending about 120.00 on materials. Including 1/4" particle board, resin, fiberglass, and a polyester t-shirt. I made the mold from the particle board, a few scrap 2x4's, and the t-shirt material. Coated it with resin, and then laid up three layers of fiberglass mat, and reinforcing with fiberglass cloth in a few areas. I had planned on skimming it with bondo, and smoothing it out, but I decided to just paint it in the end.
Believe me I am no Jscherb with fiberglass, but I think it turned out great! It does look a little better in person than in the pics.

View attachment 44295

View attachment 44296

View attachment 44297
Impressive. Fiberglass work seems really messy to me.

Last edited:

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
Thanks... It was messy, but not to bad. Used a ton of nitrile gloves and a mound of cheapo paint brushes. Missus complained about the smell for a couple days too...but once it cured, and I painted it, the smell cleared up.