Rust Never Sleeps - 84 Rebuild

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
#81
In my seemingly never ending quest to keep my AMC360 running cool I think I finally came up with a solution! My last attempt included a custom fan shroud I made from fiberglass, and used the stock clutch fan set-up. This set-up worked well at highway speed, but warmed up very quickly at traffic lights and long periods of idling, or very slow speed driving.

I'll apologize right now for not taking more pictures...

So in a previous attempt my Lincoln Mk VIII electric fan set up worked good at idle, but heated up on the highway....

Picture me scratching my head now...

So I dug out my Lincoln Mk III fan and laid it on my bench with the fan facing up.

Insert light bulb over my head here...

I measured the diameter of the fan. 16" check
I finally noticed that the middle of the fan has a 6" center section that shields the motor (and blocks air). Check
Measured the diameter of the stock shroud 20" check.
Did a little math to determine area of each measurement.
Stock shroud approx 63 sq in.
Lincoln shroud approx 50 sq in.
MINUS fan center -19 sq in!

I was trying to push 63 sq in of needed cooling air through a 31 sq in hole! Small wonder the electric fan set up could not keep the engine cool at highway speeds...duh!

I decided to try the electric fan set up again, but with a new fiberglass fan shroud.
I started by trimming down the Lincoln shroud completely to the edge of the round part of the fan housing itself. Next up was fabricating a mold for the shroud. After taking numerous measurements, and a little woodwork. I came up with this...
image.jpg

The round area is actually the fan housing from the Mk VIII. It is held to the base with three screws through the motor mounting holes. Covering everything in Saran wrap as a release. I held the fleece around the base of the fan housing with a thin piece of wire, which I just fiberglassed in. Stretched the fleece and stapled it to the base. Coated it all in three layers of glass and resin.
Gave the whole thing a day to dry. Then pried the molded piece carefully off of my mold.
Trimmed it up, and sanded and painted the new part.

I then drilled four 2 1/2" holes in the flat area of the part. I drilled two toward the top side by side, and two toward the bottom side by side.

I fashioned two flaps from 1/8" rubber I purchased from Grainger. I used strips of aluminum across the top, and pop riveted them in place.

I used four jack nuts from McMaster Carr set into the shroud, and four brackets I fabbed to install it to the radiator mounts. It was still a VERY tight fit with very little clearance between the pulley and the fan/shroud assembly.

I then set up my Dakota Digital fan controller for low to come on at 165, and high to kick in at 185 degrees.

Back to the math...
Lincoln fan net area is 31 sq in.
4- 2 1/2" holes net area is 31 sq in.
Actual Net area is 62.8 sq in!

So far... I have driven about 50 miles. The temps are stabile, and even on the highway I only see about a 2-3 degree rise!
I am hoping that when the temperature starts rising in the desert this spring that I will see the same result!

Finished pics..
image.jpg
image.jpg
 
Last edited:

dmock

Jeep junkie...CJ8, JK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gun Barrel City
State
TX
#82
Did a little more work over the holidays. I re-mounted my Warn Zeon winch, and installed the controller relocation kit.

image.jpg
Front view
image.jpg
Side view
image.jpg

Installed a K&N breather
image.jpg

Installed a hydraulic slave and master clutch set up
Master
image.jpg
Slave bottom rear view
image.jpg
Slave top view
image.jpg

Also installed new braided oil lines to my relocated oil filter
image.jpg

Then I took her out and played in some snow:woot:
image.jpg
 
Top