SBC or Stroker?

Root Moose

Fight Entropy!
City
left
State
ON
So, I thought I was all settled and determined to build a stroker for my Scrambler but now I'm not so sure any more.

What are the pros and cons of one over the other? I have a pretty good handle on it but I'm hoping someone will come up with a point that makes me say, "yes, that is the best solution for me".

I have two drivetrains that are effectively doing nothing.

Option 1:
  • 1990 Chev 5.0/305 TBI freshly rebuilt about 12k miles ago.
  • 2WD 700R4 of unknown mileage (odo reads 240k km)
  • 4wd 700R4 of unknown mileage (cheap JY source, worked when pulled)
  • Dana 300 (flipped to work with high pinion Dana 44)

Options 2:
  • 1988-1992 combination of parts making a 4.x stroker with RENIX EFI, HO head and block, 258 crank - this is pile of parts, not assembled or machined. Donors range from 180k kms to 240k kms
  • AW4 from 220k km XJ donor with "manumatic" shifter config added
  • NV242 Selectrac with HMMVW parts added to make similar strength to non-HD NV241

I figure that cost-wise it is a wash. Between having to buy adapters and machine work to build the stroker the options are within pissing distance of one another.

Which would you do? Why?

Root Moose

Fight Entropy!
City
left
State
ON
ryankopecki said:
Drop in a 360.
I like that idea but not having a fresh 360 to play with I'll pass. It would be sweet behind the AW4 though (no adapters).

I'm leaing towards the SBC/700R4 currently.

Does anyone have a ball park idea if the Dana 300 propshaft will clear the transmission pan when hooked up to a Scout of Wagoneer front Dana 44?

How much clocking can I get away with or is the factory style narrow shaft good enough to mate up?

mtruckstuff

Back Home in Colorado
City
Loveland
State
CO
What's your intended use? I'd go Stroker for better low end torque. SBC if you want to spin it. Put a stick behind it either way.

Root Moose

Fight Entropy!
City
left
State
ON
mtruckstuff said:
What's your intended use? I'd go Stroker for better low end torque. SBC if you want to spin it. Put a stick behind it either way.
The wheeling around here is typical Canadian Shield type stuff. Lots of forests on top of rock. Lots of mud between rocks, trees, roots, etc. Roughly analogous to the Pacific NW type wheeling?

I try to stay out of the deep mud when I can (boring, mess to clean up).

The Jeep will be built for 33s, initially at least. It will be more setup for long distance than say dedicated to rock crawling or bogging.

mtruckstuff

Back Home in Colorado
City
Loveland
State
CO
RootMoose,

Do your SBC/700R4/D300. Make sure you get your gearing right for the highway and you'll have a very enjoyable Jeep and it will do what you need off-road.

Not sure about your clearance or clocking issues.

Went to your website and it was great! Jeeps and Macs, great combo!

Paul