Scout or Wagoneer 44's

City
Raleigh
State
NC
I've come across a pretty good deal on a set of 44's off a 70/71 Scout. What are the big differences between the Scout 44's and Wagoneer 44's when installing them? Thanks in advance for the input!

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Are you going to narrow to CJ width or stay longer? Biggest difference (aside from WMS-WMS size) would probably be the front axle caster angle. Scout axle would be best to rotate the "C"s a little to have better steering manners.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I'm researching this now...

I want to go about 4" wider. Been looking at 76-78 F100 for the high pinion. Can't seem to find anyone that sell just the JK (High pinion) D44 casting.

There's a smoking hot deal near me on a 76 chevy front that already has the right gears and an ARB in it...trying to decide if its worth it holding out for high pinion.....

I can't really outboard the springs without re-doing my whole front (shackle reversal). If I have to cut from both sides; I assume I can still get the spring perch somewhere usable?

83CJ-8

Trying to catch up
City
Lewes
State
DE
I've come across a pretty good deal on a set of 44's off a 70/71 Scout. What are the big differences between the Scout 44's and Wagoneer 44's when installing them? Thanks in advance for the input!
I've spent some time researching the same idea, I also would like to go wider. I'm just going to go with a new bear front housing from Custom Axle Design to my specs and build it up myself. For the rear, I'll just cut another ford 9 inch down.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I have looked at the currie housing... Currie used to make a high pinion 9 inch 3rd member; but stopped about 2 years ago. I talked to the Currie folks on the phone and it sounds like there were having a higher failure rate than they were willing to accept. There appears to be only one other company that makes a high 9 3rd member; and they are 3k by the time you have gears.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
My two thoughts on those axles for sale is that the welding on the Cs on the front looks a bit rough (like something I would do :rotfl:) with a lot of grinding. The front is clearly not ready to bolt in as someone went in and cut off the perches, so these weren't just pulled out from under a Scrambler and put up for sale.

I also got burned once on a purchase where "full Detroits" ended up being a pair of lunchbox lockers because I was too trusting and didn't pull the diff covers myself before I hauled them home. So I'd want to see something to prove what's inside.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
9” custom housings are pretty cheap.... I’d definitely pull the 3rds to see the lockers.....

Might be worth buying (if you could get them For a little less) to build a set