• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Scout the Scrambler

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
Meet Scout, the '82 that I just bought from a very nice gentleman about 2 hours south of me. I previously had an agreement to buy the project that was for sale on here in Wyoming but the seller had a last minute change of heart. About 12 hours later this beauty popped up on CL and I was lucky to be the first caller. Also lucky that our garage was finished just this morning, hence the lack of anything else in it at the moment. Lived its entire life on the Colorado front range, it has very few modifications and 95% of the rust looks to be surface. Iron Duke 4cyl that will definitely be replaced, same with the SR4. From what I have read, the step bumper is fairly rare? Did a lot of the half hard tops come with the large sliding rear window? I'm also not sure what the diff gear ratio is but maybe it's 4.10 since it came with the 4 cyl?

Teardown starts next weekend. I'll definitely be in the market for a lot of knowledge and advice along the way. Can't wait!

PXL_20201003_211028186.jpgPXL_20201003_221528934.jpgPXL_20201003_221519577.jpgPXL_20201003_220531200.jpgPXL_20201003_221905313.jpg

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Nice find. Should be able to make a nice one with those bones.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
You did well. Even though it's a 4-banger, it has Renegade trim options . . . side moldings, steering wheel, padded dash, high back seats, and the rear bumper with both original end caps. There is one original end cap on Ebay right now that is up to $175. So be gentile with those.

STSFCTN

City
Centennial
State
CO
Hi JC I am new to CJs and started my restomod build 2 months ago. I am in Centennial. This forum rocks with lots of knowledge and support. Here is where I am repairing Rusty. Get a torch and lots of PB Blaster.

Attachments

• IMG_20201003_142528673.jpg
    IMG_20201003_142528673.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20201003_142446090.jpg
    IMG_20201003_142446090.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 60

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
Hi JC I am new to CJs and started my restomod build 2 months ago. I am in Centennial. This forum rocks with lots of knowledge and support. Here is where I am repairing Rusty. Get a torch and lots of PB Blaster.

Nice work so far! I have a MAP torch and gallons of PB Blaster, what I'm going to need more of is patience. Are you making your own panels or buying ones from Classic or elsewhere? There's very little rot on mine that I can see but the truth will come out when I eventually get it back from the blaster. Someone did cut a strange square out of the floor between the bulkhead and back of the seats and the bottom lip of the bulkhead is definitely going to need to be rebuilt.

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
Nice find!

That tailgate looks AWESOME!

Right?! Zero clue how the swirled rust pattern was formed but it definitely has a Van Gogh thing going on. It's a beat up so maybe I'll source a an OEM replacement and hang this one on the wall.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Right?! Zero clue how the swirled rust pattern was formed but it definitely has a Van Gogh thing going on. It's a beat up so maybe I'll source a an OEM replacement and hang this one on the wall.

Man, I would think hard about getting the loose paint off and clearcoating that thing and RUN IT. Would be a freaking amazing homage to the life and experiences that Jeep has seen. :shrug:

STSFCTN

City
Centennial
State
CO
Nice work so far! I have a MAP torch and gallons of PB Blaster, what I'm going to need more of is patience. Are you making your own panels or buying ones from Classic or elsewhere? There's very little rot on mine that I can see but the truth will come out when I eventually get it back from the blaster. Someone did cut a strange square out of the floor between the bulkhead and back of the seats and the bottom lip of the bulkhead is definitely going to need to be rebuilt.
Classic is great for the side panels but I went with the Key parts floorplans because they connect to each other at the rear floor. Don't forget the ziplock bags too.

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
I didn't realize how valuable they are The bumper and end caps are now hidden away like the Ark of the Covenant.

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
How long until that shiny new garage is full of crap? Over/Under is 60 days. They just collect stuff.

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
Teardown is coming along nicely. The engine, trans, and t-case are out as are most of the body parts (dash, steering, seats, doors, top, etc.). A couple of the roll bar bolts are seemingly impossible to get to and rusted solid so those will have to be cut out. So far not too many surprises other than an odd square hole cut out of the floor behind the passenger seat, which I'll patch after sandblast. The big thing I found, which I'll post about separately, is a few small cracks in the front passenger side of the frame. Guessing I'll have to drill/grind/weld those up but I'm interested in the community's take. Anyway, plans for the weekend include removing the roll bar, gas tank, fuel and brake lines, and exhaust, at which point I'll tackle the body mount bolts and attempt to lift the body off the frame.

PXL_20201031_005328335.jpgPXL_20201031_005306569.jpg