• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Scrambler build

standingbear

Basic User
City
Galluo
State
NM
Hi,

Well i bought a scrambler 3 years ago used it for 1 summer them decided to do a frame off build. My project has been idol for most of the time but i got an urge to finish it. To date i have completly cleaned and painted evey part with por 15 body and all. rebuilt front and rear axle with 1 piece axles 4.88 gears and ARB lockers and new breaks. Also put on 4 inch Skyjacker lift. I installed 4.3 TBI motor had problems with finding the right headers but today i ordreded some headers from advance adapter so i hope these will work. tomorrow i plan on installing T5 tranny dana 300 transfer case. I wish i had found this site earlier it seems like alot of experience on here for jeep projects. I would probably have more hair left. Well I look forward to have a source for help.

webyepn

We be Yeep'n
City
Orem
State
Ut
Hi,

Well i bought a scrambler 3 years ago used it for 1 summer them decided to do a frame off build. My project has been idol for most of the time but i got an urge to finish it. To date i have completly cleaned and painted evey part with por 15 body and all. rebuilt front and rear axle with 1 piece axles 4.88 gears and ARB lockers and new breaks. Also put on 4 inch Skyjacker lift. I installed 4.3 TBI motor had problems with finding the right headers but today i ordreded some headers from advance adapter so i hope these will work. tomorrow i plan on installing T5 tranny dana 300 transfer case. I wish i had found this site earlier it seems like alot of experience on here for jeep projects. I would probably have more hair left. Well I look forward to have a source for help.

Sounds like a good start. What axles are you going to run?

Where did you put the Por 15. You know that it doesn't have any UV blockers in it so don't put it anyware were the sun hits it. Good luck with the build

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Welcome! Got any pictures?

standingbear

Basic User
City
Galluo
State
NM
The axles are amc 20 rear and Dana 30 front probably not a good choice after reading all that articles on here. I have too much invested to change now. Por told me you can paint where it will get UV rays just paint over it with good paint. So that was my plan. I already did everything so did I screw up. Has anyone done it like that. I will try to post picture tonight.

standingbear

Basic User
City
Galluo
State
NM
Well here are a couple of pictures of my build. also found out tonight the bolt in motor mounts moved tranny forward about 3 inches so ill have to modify the crossmember. Also learned about the two shifters for dana 300 got to get one of those.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
That frame looks awesome!

Welcome to the forum, hope you're driving it in no time! :smokin:

webyepn

We be Yeep'n
City
Orem
State
Ut
The axles are amc 20 rear and Dana 30 front probably not a good choice after reading all that articles on here. I have too much invested to change now. Por told me you can paint where it will get UV rays just paint over it with good paint. So that was my plan. I already did everything so did I screw up. Has anyone done it like that. I will try to post picture tonight.

What size tire are you going to be running? Anything can work just some things work better.. lol

As for the por 15. That is true. The integrity of the product wont suffer it may just fad and chalk a little where the sun hits it. If it were me I would just run it and as u scratch it up touch it up with some good rattle can paint.. Good choice on product for the frame though.

standingbear

Basic User
City
Galluo
State
NM
Tires are SSR super swampers 285/75/16 next ones will be 35
attachment.php

Last edited:

webyepn

We be Yeep'n
City
Orem
State
Ut
Tires are SSR super swampers 285/75/16 next ones will be 35

Good set of tire. Are you planning on rock crawling this or just you normal wheeling? If you are planning on rock crawling it you may want to see what you can get out of the axles and start with some new one.. Just a thought:wave:

standingbear

Basic User
City
Galluo
State
NM
I installed bolt on axle trusses today. As for as rock crawling i do not really do much just trying to make a really good hunting rig. I run hounds in the winter. So my goal is to not walk home anymore from being stuck lol. I hope these axles will hold up i did weld the tubes new superior axle shafts and arb lockers.
attachment.php
attachment.php
[/IMG]
attachment.php

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Sounds like a good set of upgrades fo what you're looking to do :thumbsup:

Good stuff, keep it coming! :)

standingbear

Basic User
City
Galluo
State
NM
Randyzzz,

The trusses came from 4wd.com. i bought these about 2 years ago when i started buying parts for this build. Looked them up today and i could not find them. There is no name on them looks like they would be easy to make.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Randyzzz,

The trusses came from 4wd.com. i bought these about 2 years ago when i started buying parts for this build. Looked them up today and i could not find them. There is no name on them looks like they would be easy to make.

Thought they looked familiar. I'm stockpiling ideas for strengthening my rear axle.

standingbear

Basic User
City
Galluo
State
NM
Thought they looked familiar. I'm stockpiling ideas for strengthening my rear axle.

These seem real stout if you need better pic let me know.

My headers showed up from advance adapters today but instead of dumping out on the frame they dump out on the clutch fork.:shrug:

Major Jack

Legacy Registered User
City
Zillah
State
Wa
I had a similar issue on a street rod I built many years ago. I don't know how long the collector is from the tubes to the flange is on yours. I was able to make a pie cut on mine and have it dump closer straight down.

standingbear

Basic User
City
Galluo
State
NM
I had a similar issue on a street rod I built many years ago. I don't know how long the collector is from the tubes to the flange is on yours. I was able to make a pie cut on mine and have it dump closer straight down.

Thanks i was kinda thinking about doing that but it is to close.

Called advance adapters today and they said the headers are for auto setup only. They credited my money and refered me to Sanderson headers. Sanderson said they have the right setup so i will see when they get here.

standingbear

Basic User
City
Galluo
State
NM
This weekends progress went well got the body put back together. Everything seems to be going back ok. Sometimes I have to look for awhile to figure out where it goes. Seems over the coarse of time some parts have gone missing. Just some quick notes if anyone is going to do the 4.3l conversion. Power stering pluged right in. T5 tranny hooked up fine with advance adapter bellhousing. I used 168 tooth chevy flywheel. Used 11 chevy high clutch with stock jeep throw out bearing both jeep and chevy used 1 1/8 10 spline output shaft so no issues with clutch. Clutch linkage took a little modifing but nothing major. The bolt in moore engine mounts worked real good except it moved engine forward about 2 inches so gear shifter needs bent back or it will hit the dash not a big problem. It appers like i will have to run electric fan which i was going to anyway. Dont think there is enough room for one on the motor. The drive lines are going to need to be longer in back and shorter in front by 2-4 inches i assume this is from moving the motor forward but i did put a 4 inch lift.This 4,3 is a 2004 MPFI i bought off junkyard. I stated earlier that it was a TBI. Well i was wrong happens once and awhile lol. So anyways i have to run new fuel lines and put an inline pump that is good for about 70 psi. A 2004 in the tank pump is about 300 dollars so im going with an inline. BTW there is plenty of room if anyone wants to put a fuel pump in tank. You would only need to cut new hole in tank and buy or make a flange. The wiring was already taken care of from the person i bought motor fromI will only need to hook up 4 wires so not much to report from there yet ( crossing my fingers it works).
attachment.php

The yellow truck next to scrambler is next project lol.

attachment.php

Last edited: