• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

scrambler factory options, differences, defects, anomalies, annoyances, and errors

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Excellent post Bobby! Concise and accurate. And accurate !

The marchal light availability was indeed started in 1981. Prior to the '81 model year the fog lights were Cibie brand. If you look at a first year 1980 CJ with the fog light option you'll see these lights mounted a little differently than the marchals as well, a bit closer together and more in line with the turn signals.

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
The marchal light availability was indeed started in 1981. Prior to the '81 model year the fog lights were Cibie brand. If you look at a first year 1980 CJ with the fog light option you'll see these lights mounted a little differently than the marchals as well, a bit closer together and more in line with the turn signals.

Were the Cibie brand fog lights black plastic cases with a louvered face over amber lenses?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Yeah, I guess I'll need to get some of those salesman's order guides . :)

A comical jab there MarknessMonster, however contradictory, I had an '83 Limited and have a lot of friends that have had Limiteds therefore the mirror identification comes from experience.

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
The black rocker moulding question is actually interesting, and a common misconception. So many black mouldings have changed color from exposure to the sun that it is thought that they never came with black mouldings. But if you look at these mouldings that have turned a shade of purple, and evenutally all the way to just an aluminum color, looking at the underside it will still be black anodized where the sun hasnt hit them...

This is probably the most interesting piece of information I've viewed on the forum this year. The following photo isn't great, but it certainly doesn't show anything in a bright aluminum finish below the rocker decal.

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
hytyse8e-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
This is probably the most interesting piece of information I've viewed on the forum this year. The following photo isn't great, but it certainly doesn't show anything in a bright aluminum finish below the rocker decal.

Yes, as we said earlier, the mouldings used to be black and then faded. Just further proof, above ;)

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Referencing the mirrors discussion within this thread, here is my friend's
'82 limited with 11K original miles.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389452741.892376.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389452750.976358.jpg

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
They are pretty much the same but not identical. They mount exactly the same and it would be hard to tell the difference. I think the difference is in the plastic pattern or it saying "objects in mirror are..." or something like that.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
Id better get some proper photos then see if it helps,there is a load of writing moulded into the plastic, maybe i should of looked for a date stamp before posting. Deffo no writing on the mirror glass although one was smashed (but intact).... Is that 7 years bad luck:eek:

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
Thanks to a few responses in a different thread, fellow users of this forum were helpful in allowing me to track some information that I found interesting. Providing a source for Scrambler vehicle identification numbers and sequential serial numbers allowed me to locate a picture of a stock 1981 Scrambler with a low SSN. The photo is as follows. Please note the small font hood graphic that is similar to the early factory photos. Also, the "CJ-8" is seen located below the front passenger side marker light; I think I've also seen this badge located in the same spot on export Scramblers.

The original poster of this photograph indicated they were second owners of this 25K original miles Scrambler, and they were told by original owner that is was all stock. I can believe that both the hood graphic and CJ-8 badge is original to the Jeep, if only due to the natural patina of the Scrambler and appearance that it hasn't been polished or dressed-up. It's unfortunate that it appears the hood was impacted by the windshield at some point in its life, but I'd still enjoy seeing this early Scrambler in person.

pav1

Legacy Registered User
City
Acton
State
ON
I thought you didn't believe anything you didn't see in person????

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
I wouldn't believe it unless I saw a pic of the vin plate... And even then, its the internet.

pav1

Legacy Registered User
City
Acton
State
ON
LOL....I've been poking at Markness because he put down my jeep and I'm not happy

I wouldn't trust the validity of that jeep considered the owner doesn't give a crap about originality.

Holes drilled in bumper, hood fubared by throwing it up on the windshield, mirror going to fall off....

That owner did what he wanted to it without concern.

Just cause the paint is faded and the jeep is old, definitely does not mean it's correct!!!

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
LOL....I've been poking at Markness because he put down my jeep and I'm not happy

I wouldn't trust the validity of that jeep considered the owner doesn't give a crap about originality.

Holes drilled in bumper, hood fubared by throwing it up on the windshield, mirror going to fall off....

That owner did what he wanted to it without concern.

Just cause the paint is faded and the jeep is old, definitely does not mean it's correct!!!

I guess you missed the written part where I noted that your Jeep was really nice. Yes, I also followed that with a skeptical query as to the authenticity of its bone-stock appearance. I regret that you took offense to such an innocent question regarding the Laredo glove box badge, but your Jeep was so pristine that I felt it garnered such a request for specific information. That skepticism was also generated by my personal experience of seeing so many early Scrambler Laredo models without the glove box badge. Your response, along with others, seems to have settled the debate and I now firmly believe that some early Scrambler Laredo models did and some didn't include the glove box badge.

In regards to the picture posted above, I have an easier time believing this one is original based upon the appearance that it has obviously not been redone or given much attention. As far as doing what the owner wanted to it without concern, that is often the case for owners whom buy something new or newer, not knowing that it will become a collectible in the future; this Jeep was obviously used as intended and the OP used it as a tow-along recreational vehicle. That hood damage can be quite common, too, when the latches aren't engaged on a CJ and it is driven at high speeds. I remain convinced that this Jeep is very authentic, and thus very unique.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Way too many words MM. Just apologize if u could actually do that without all the fluff.

pav1

Legacy Registered User
City
Acton
State
ON
Markness, it's just I've seen some pretty blunt posts over the last week with others on the site....if it's sarcasm or joking around, it doesn't come through just in print.

As for the authenticness of a jeep, I look to either the extremely low mileage jeeps and the ones that where meticulously cared for with one or two owners from new for correctness.

I've seen quite and few one owner jeeps and luckily had a chance to talk to the original owners to gain info...

pav1

Legacy Registered User
City
Acton
State
ON
Oh and there's this Eric guy I know who is a wealth of knowledge ;)