Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I've read that the postals are rare about 230 or 240 sent to AK.

I see that some people love the postal tops but what about the postal itself?

NO OFFENSE BIGWALTON :thumbsup: I believe you have the top as well:bow: And, Well your setup is freekin' SWEET

I'm just curious :shrug:
How desirable is the right hand drive here in the states without being able to purchase the top and doors with it. Condition aside

Would anyone even seek a postal without a top besides the rarity?

I thought this would be an interesting thread. But, maybe that's just me.

City
Albany
State
or
Postal

As a postal owner, I like the fact it is rare, with no real value, the top rocks, but, kinda upset at Jeff for making a copy, cause it takes away from the cool factor of rare top, and God knows, I need all the cool I can get. The right hand drive was kinda of hard to get used to, I kept going to the normal side to drive it, and found no steering wheel in front. I still cant beleive I paid 4000 bucks for that piece of crap I love so much

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Have you seen the documents from the USPS I posted? It was 230 of them.

http://www.kateanderic.com/postal/USPS documents.html

No offense taken at all, heh, I don't care if everyone thinks I'm completely insane and/or stupid. Been there done that :D

Without the postal top it's a curiosity and attention getter. Actually driving the RHD took me very little time to get used to (surprising me) other than the problem Dave mentioned about going to the wrong side to get in when not thinking about it.

The floor shift for the automatic is cool and rare, but otherwise the only notable thing really is the foam on the inside of the tub if you haven't removed it all.

For me, it was the faact that I got it in AK and brought it back to life and drove it home. I don't know if I'd ever bother to pay to have one shipped back to me or buy one for sale in the lower 48 because the trip was so much of the whole thing for me.

The top is very cool, but in stock form, the blind spots and low visibility are BAD. Blind spot mirrors help a ton, but the biggest issue is making a right turn and trying to see down the road to the left. You can literally get into a position where you cannot physically see down the road if you start to angle right too much since you're on the right side. I've had to basically stand up and lean over the passenger seat a couple times.

Without the top, it's just a curious Jeep with a story really. Nothing more to it than that in my mind. Up here I never put the hard top on it due to parking it all winter. I've thought about selling it with the doors to someone that could use them, but I always drop it like a hot rock.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
Postals don't seem to be that big of a deal up here, other than the fact that they are Scramblers that you can't find gearboxes for. Sure, Scramblers command their price up here just like they do in the Lower 48, but you're still fundamentally buying a rusty CJ when you buy a postal. There are still several of them running around up here; some have been built, others are stock. Lots have rusted out the way other CJs of that era rusted out.

When the auction happened, many people bought them so they could use them for hunting since with the full top, you can sleep in the back. Before I started my project, I thought about looking for a postal simply because they are around, but quickly ruled that out since I didn't want to deal with the right hand drive. Add that to the fact that they are still rusty old CJs, and I'm glad I went the route I did. I don't place a premium on the postals anymore than other Scramblers, other than you know it has a unique history delivering the mail. But so do DJs, and nobody is super-excited over the collectibility of DJs.

Combine that with the fact that the World-Cab tops were mass-produced for export, along with other right-hand drive CJs, and the postals aren't really even that rare.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::thumbsup:

I like that one.

Well, I purchased one today and should have it in a week or so.

Once I get it I will post some pictures.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Lots have rusted out the way other CJs of that era rusted out.
Yep, so they are that much more rare. :D

I don't place a premium on the postals anymore than other Scramblers, other than you know it has a unique history delivering the mail. But so do DJs, and nobody is super-excited over the collectibility of DJs.
Thousands and thousands of DJs were produced, no comparison.

Combine that with the fact that the World-Cab tops were mass-produced for export, along with other right-hand drive CJs, and the postals aren't really even that rare.
In the world, sure, but try finding an Overlander or Llanero in the US.

That's like saying that Cuban cigars are no big deal because they're sold everywhere (else) around the world. They're pretty easy to come by and don't command any premium price, right? ;)

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
yea, ummm I bought the whole thing :woot: :D
I just don't have anywhere to put it :crazy:

:needpic:

Just let me know and I can knock down some more trees, might have to get some more concrete blocks, though :rotfl::rotfl:

You must have had Bigwalton on one shoulder being the "bad devil" and me on the other shoulder being the "voice of reason" :D:D:rotfl: (JK Bigwalton, my phone cut out Thursday heading up to Talladega when we were talking about this :cheers:)

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
You're not that far off.

bigwalton was my co-pilot on this one. So, a BIG :woot: to Eric.

Also, I did value his knowledge and opinions about this postal. my :twocents:

spankrjs: Pics when I get it :evil: :D

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Copilot??? Bad devil?? :evil: I just threw out a couple of :twocents: comments and you replied to tell me you bought the damn thing!!! :D

I was happy to help and this one looks pretty good (other than the color :eek:) body-wise unless someone spent a lot of time sanding bondo. Can't wait to see the pics when you have it at home.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Copilot??? Bad devil?? :evil: I just threw out a couple of :twocents: comments and you replied to tell me you bought the damn thing!!! :D

Oops, I thought that's how :twocents: worked :D

And the color well, the gf wants to dress it up for tailgating at homegames

I kinda like the idea. At least It'll keep the kegs cold:cheers:

But really I have been tossing the idea of getting one. Semi local so what the heck.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Right on, just shocked me when you replied that you'd bought it based on our previous discussion.

Had to look where you are for the tailgate comment to make sense, but I definitely could see that! :smokin:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Yep, LSU.

I rather tailgate, catch up with friends and :cheers: maybe I can use the side as a projection screen

Now I have a purple vehicle for fun and extra insulation to keep some Abita Purple Haze cold :woot: :D

Last edited:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
You are correct my friend.

Thanks for spotting it:thumbsup:. I was going to give you props once it came in.

After I bought it they took it down so I couldn't get any pictures to post.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Well, I gathered from the few clues that it was probably the only purple postal anywhere near you, not to mention anywhere in the lower 48! Congrats and I can't wait to hear and see more of it! :cheers: