Scrambler Siting - Munising, MI

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
Heading home from the Keweenaw yesterday and saw a topless Scrambler in Munising---chest nut brown color, looked stock. Gave them a big thumbs up. I was in my scrambler pulling a teardrop. Was it anybody on here?

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
You asked! So I have been dreaming of building an overland teardrop....while studying/planning for the build I was also watching the used market for something I could convert. (To buy new is just ridiculous money.) After about 9 mos. I came across a 2007 5x8 pleasant valley and the conversion commenced. Build thread is over on EXPO...starts on page 2, post 28 -

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/teardrop-dilemma.191343/page-2#post-2529961

So here's a few IMG_3073[1].JPG IMG_3068[1].JPG pics from our trip in the Keweenaw near High Rock Point: IMG_3106[1].JPG IMG_3108[1].JPG

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Awesome pics Scott! I saw them on my phone but had to look again on a bigger screen. Love the trailer. :drool:

Is it loud trailering with a pintle setup? Just curious how you liked that. I really like that retractable awning too.

Last edited:

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
Teardrops inherently have a lot of tongue weight, so on the road...no, the pintle is quiet and very rarely do you hear much of a clunk. Off-road - yes, it's clunkly in rough terrain - crawling over rocks, in and out of ruts, etc. as the trailer accelerates and decels in and out or over the obstacle, but I don't mind it. Pintle hitches are bulletproof, so I can put up with a little noise. It is a fun project, still plan to do a few things such as solar panel for charging the battery. We love using it, we were always tent campers, but being off the ground, 5 minute set-up time, and no wet tent to mess with has some advantages! A friend of mine has dubbed it my "metal tent"

I should have taken some more pics on the trails....

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wow, that's awesome. You should throw up a thread on here with just a couple of the photos and a link to that build thread. Great stuff!!!

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Teardrops inherently have a lot of tongue weight, so on the road...no, the pintle is quiet and very rarely do you hear much of a clunk. Off-road - yes, it's clunkly in rough terrain - crawling over rocks, in and out of ruts, etc. as the trailer accelerates and decels in and out or over the obstacle, but I don't mind it. Pintle hitches are bulletproof, so I can put up with a little noise. It is a fun project, still plan to do a few things such as solar panel for charging the battery. We love using it, we were always tent campers, but being off the ground, 5 minute set-up time, and no wet tent to mess with has some advantages! A friend of mine has dubbed it my "metal tent"

I should have taken some more pics on the trails....
Being off the ground is HUGE in so many ways. People don't understand how big a deal that is until they actually try something out like this :thumbsup:

FWIW, I'll never run anything other than the maxcoupler or similar now that I have the one on my trailer. Utterly silent, perfectly smooth in all directions and similarly bulletproof.

Consider a solar suitcase versus hard mounted panels, the ability to move them to the sun (I made extension wires so they can be a decent distance from the trailer) versus having to have the trailer in the sun is invaluable.

The wet tent when it's time to put things away is the only time I hate dealing with my RTT on my trailer. Kate LOVES to point out these "cute" little trailers whenever we see them. I expect we'll own one of these at some point down the road.

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
Being off the ground is HUGE in so many ways. People don't understand how big a deal that is until they actually try something out like this :thumbsup:

Consider a solar suitcase versus hard mounted panels, the ability to move them to the sun (I made extension wires so they can be a decent distance from the trailer) versus having to have the trailer in the sun is invaluable.
I agree and excellent advise on the solar...usually try to set-up the trailer in the shade!