• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Scrambler Skid plate

bigjeepnfool

Legacy Registered User
I need to get a new skidplate for my t-18/d300 setup, I might just get one fabbed up... I also see Throttle Down Kustoms makes a cj skidplate....Does anybody have one and what do you think about the quality/fit? Does anybody else make non-stock type skidplates for cj's?
thanks,
-Will

Stouttrout

Registered Jeep Nut
I have a Throttle Down. Well actually it was before TDK bought them but it is the same bumper. I love it. It looks great and it is very strong and durable.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
I'm curious how you come to need a new one.... beat the old one all to &*#%? :D

I'd like to get a HD unit that's a little flatter/higher.

bigjeepnfool

Legacy Registered User
I want one that is a little flatter/higher. I also want a stronger platform for mounting my drivetrain. I might get the TDK one but I gotta decide which one I want........I want it high but not to the point where I gotta bash or cut the floor to get it to fit.
thanks,
-Will

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
Someone should make a tranny mount that goes over the tranny/tcase.

I could see a tube going up and over the drivetrain, following the contour of the tub and then you'd bolt a lower support to that on either side of the tranny that picks up the mount. The skidder would bolt to the frame and the lower support and then have a tubular crossmember spanning the frame at the front edge of the skidder. That way you could unbolt the skidplate and still have the tranny attached (fluid/filter changes, linkage adhustments, etc.)

If you need to pull the tranny/tcase, just unbolt the lower support after removing the skidder.

Never have understood why no one has something like that for CJs. I've seen TJ ones for longarm kits that have separate skidders and tranny mounts, but this seems pretty straightforward to me (everything always works perfectly in my mind ;))

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Check this page out.

In the middle of the picture collage is a reverse mounted GM-Dana 300 adapter that lets him hang it from the top and then use a flat metal skid under it.

There is some talk about it in the archives of the Fabricaors forum on JeepsUnlimited. But you have to search way about about 2 years for it.

It is a pretty cool idea.

Carl

Stouttrout

Registered Jeep Nut
Where is the page you are talking about. Did you post it? I don;t see.

Bigwalton, was that a stab at my pretty Jeep:D I do have a Scratch on it now.

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
Just Got Mine

bigjeepnfool said:
I need to get a new skidplate for my t-18/d300 setup, I might just get one fabbed up... I also see Throttle Down Kustoms makes a cj skidplate....Does anybody have one and what do you think about the quality/fit? Does anybody else make non-stock type skidplates for cj's?
thanks,
-Will
I just got mine in from TDC but i have not yet mounted it, when i do i'll take some pics and let you know. A friend of mine has one on his CJ7 and it looks good. I like the fact that you can remove the actual "skid" part of the unit to service your stuff without having to take the whole thing down.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
I think I get it, but the link would be helpful ;)

ST, stab at your jeep how??? I really like the ones I've seen for the TJ/LJs that have a separate mount/skidder...

I let you know what I think of that LJ in your thread on it :D :cool: Mine will look something like that one day (so far I'm partial to the Nth degree kit though) I'll be asking you about yours when that time comes (some years from now :rolleyes:)

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
dadscj8 said:
I just got mine in from TDK but i have not yet mounted it,
I got it, now... forget I asked.

I'd love to see anything that people know of that include that feature!

bigjeepnfool

Legacy Registered User
DADSCJ8
Thanks for the reply...Let me know how that skidplate works out....i really like it in the pics but I want someone who has experience with it before I buy it. ALso just crious how much of a drop did you get?
thanks,
-Will

Carl
How much of a body lift is that jeep running with that crossmemeber????seems like the drivetrain is sitting a little too high for my liking...I want to avoid a body lift if possible.....I just don't like the way it looks and I don't want to cut up a perfectly good scrambler tub. IT just feels to WRONG!:eek:

Eric,
I won't be building up that LJ for a few more years.....that whole money issue is a pain in the a$$...I really like the clayton stuff and have seen it in action....and all I can say is I gaurantee you won't go wrong with anything from them! AS far as the nth degree kit I haven't seen it eye to eye but it looks nice in the mags.....I like the clayton stuff because it is stout and made to take really hard abuse and survive.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
bigjeepnfool said:
DADSCJ8
I want to avoid a body lift if possible....
Anything 1" or less is hardly noticable IMHO and I've been shocked how many things are easier to do/get to on account of just that little bit of extra space... I'll put a 1" kit on every CJ I have from now on.

My .02 anyhow.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member

Stouttrout

Registered Jeep Nut
Mine is a 1" drop. It really does not sit too much lower than the original. The skid on the bottom comes off. Since it is tube it allows for pretty much full access to the trans and D300. I think it looks great as well. Mine is on my show Jeep but i am going to order another one for the Beast. It already has an AFW frame. They used to own the designs before TDK bought them.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLD 8
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
I know I'm resurrecting a thread from the dead here, but I'm looking at skid late options now that I've clocked my transfer case. What are the thoughts on the tdk skid? I'm leaning that direction, but am questioning if any of the drops they offer are appropriate.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLD 8
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
I have and have considered them as well with a separate transmission mount. I like the idea of being able to remove the skid plate for maintenance. By the time I get the mount, have it welded in and buy the skid plate I'm at the price point of the tdk skid. I just don't know if the tdk one will give me the ground clearance increase I'm looking for. I'll probably end up giving them a call on Monday.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
I have and have considered them as well with a separate transmission mount. I like the idea of being able to remove the skid plate for maintenance. By the time I get the mount, have it welded in and buy the skid plate I'm at the price point of the tdk skid. I just don't know if the tdk one will give me the ground clearance increase I'm looking for. I'll probably end up giving them a call on Monday.
Let us know what you find out from TDK.

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLD 8
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
I just got off the phone with TDK. Their 0" drop skid plate is designed to be used in place of the factory skid plate with the transfer case/transmission at the factory location, no clocked transfer case etc. The 1" and 1.5" drop are just that, 1" inch lower than stock and 1.5" lower than stock.

Due to the design, he also told me that their 0" drop will mount to the transmission at the factory location/height, but will actually be about an inch lower to the ground than the factory skid due to the round tubing.

While I like the idea of a separate mount and skid, I think the reality of how often I've had the skid plate off, I would rather have the ground clearance of the Barnes 4WD skid plate.