• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Scrambler tub length ?

Bluesix

City
B.A.
State
ok
Hello all, new to the forum. I am starting a project and if any of you can help I'd appreciate it.
I have started a stretch YJ project and I am looking for the measurement of the Scrambler tub between the front fender/tub joint and the rear seam on the side of the body where the tail light panel wraps around and meets the body. I want to be able to use Scramber tops. Building this to get some extra room and maybe pull a small trailer to do some car camping in out of the way places. 20201226_193408.jpg20201226_194057.jpg Thanks

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I don't have the measurement, if you search the forum, I am SURE you will find the info if somebody doesn't post the info here.
Looks like you have some beefy axles under the YJ frame.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
So your plan is for being able to use a Scrambler top but have a longer-than-a-Scrambler wheelbase?

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Looks pretty good with the top, would need to see without to know for sure if it is a good look.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
That's what I am aiming for, found this photo on the net, I think this is what it will be like. This one looks like they cut the hood and high lined the fenders.View attachment 90313
I can GUARANTEE that is a Scrambler that was photoshopped . I took that pre shipped picture probably 20 years ago from my front yard.
The OD 1 is my long gone first Jeep ever and the fleshy 1 is my 2 road worthy Scrambler, also long gone. The "flesh mobile" as my now wife named it has an AJ's full top on it.

Bluesix

City
B.A.
State
ok
I can GUARANTEE that is a Scrambler that was photoshopped . I took that pre shipped picture probably 20 years ago from my front yard.
The OD 1 is my long gone first Jeep ever and the fleshy 1 is my 2 road worthy Scrambler, also long gone. The "flesh mobile" as my now wife named it has an AJ's full top on it.

Photo shopped scrambler looks pretty cool. Thats what I am looking for in a finished product. The wheelbase should be around 117", which is close to the Jk/Jl 4 doors.

Bluesix

City
B.A.
State
ok
So, been awhile since I worker on it, got around today to finishing the welds to locate the frame. Due to wind Iwill have to move the car and bikes out of the garage to complete the welding.
After I do that I am going to throw the 2 halves of the tub back on and clamp them together with some angle iron to see what it looks like,hope it resembles the shopped photo I posted.

Attachments

• 20210404_175056.jpg
    20210404_175056.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 32

Bluesix

City
B.A.
State
ok
The frame extension is done. Waiting on 4 new main eye spring hangers as the original ones had wallowed out holes in them.
Tacked the original spring hangers in place so I could set the tub halves on it.
The bottom of the seam is 113 5/8". The top is a quarter inch closer but I don't think I will have a problem getting it where it needs to be. I tossed a piece of cardboard in there and painted it black to see what it will kind of look like.

Attachments

• 20210425_123352.jpg
    20210425_123352.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 48

Bluesix

City
B.A.
State
ok
Been working on it on and off as weather and circumstances allow. Body and floor are about 80% complete. Today I cut off the rear shock mounts and found holes in the frame under the rust. Surprisingly the inside of the frame looked relatively pristine but for the holes rusted through.

Attachments

• 20210913_165757_1.jpg
    20210913_165757_1.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 23

Bluesix

City
B.A.
State
ok
Here's the inside of frame, looks like the it was dipped in a tank of some kind of paint with the way the interior side appears.

Attachments

• 20211009_143053.jpg
    20211009_143053.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 28

Bluesix

City
B.A.
State
ok
?Had some 3/16" 2x3" tube so I made a patch for both sides. Here's the patch in place before grinding the welds down.
I see there are some rear shock mounts that weld to the top of the frame and don't trap dirt. Think I will go with those for an extra 20 bucks over the stock style.

Attachments

• 20211009_150649.jpg
    20211009_150649.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 27

Bluesix

City
B.A.
State
ok
Got the bottom of the floor covered with 3M rubberized undercoating. This jeep is a salvage title and it had rolled and took a tree/pole to the drivers door opening with the dent tapering out as it went up into the door. The drivers door opening is tighter due to this.
My neighbor has a hydraulic20220123_143839.jpg push/pull setup so I cut the rocker and pushed it apart. It is not back to original size but I can now get the door to shut better than before.
Adjusted the windshield to get the distance from windshield lip to back body edge for softop fitting. The windshield to doorframe fit is pretty good.
Still have to do fuel and brake lines. Also need to decide to either keep the L98 TPI or pick up a wrecked truck for a 5.3.

Bluesix

City
B.A.
State
ok
Got the bottom of the floor covered with 3M rubberized undercoating. This jeep is a salvage title and it had rolled and took a tree/pole to the drivers door opening with the dent tapering out as it went up into the door. The drivers door opening is tighter due to this.
My neighbor has a hydraulicView attachment 100004 push/pull setup so I cut the rocker and pushed it apart. It is not back to original size but I can now get the door to shut better than before.
Adjusted the windshield to get the distance from windshield lip to back body edge for softop fitting. The windshield to doorframe fit is pretty good.
Still have to do fuel and brake lines. Also need to decide to either keep the L98 TPI or pick up a wrecked truck for a 5.3

Bluesix

City
B.A.
State
ok
Working on it as weather and time allows. Got the tub lined with lizardskin. Guess I I'll find out if it's durable when it's back in operation. Should be able to start some reassembly. The next thing I need to do is get an a/c and heat unit. Once that is in place under the dash it be onto reassembly of the dash and wiring.

Attachments

• 20220501_162717.jpg
    20220501_162717.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 13

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
Not to hijack, but would anyone have measurements from the front cage rollbar (by the windshield for those who have a cage) to the rear most length-basically to the tailgate?

Also, any updates on this thread, it's interesting
Thanks

Bluesix

City
B.A.
State
ok
Not to hijack, but would anyone have measurements from the front cage rollbar (by the windshield for those who have a cage) to the rear most length-basically to the tailgate?

Also, any updates on this thread, it's interesting
Thanks
I decided to just run with the tuned port unless I can find a really wrecked pickup. My neighbor goes to the auctions and since used car prices have gone up trucks that used to be 5-700$ are now selling for 12-1500$.
I was also worried about the durability of the lizard skin so I put Herculiner over all of it except the firewall. I have also separated the jeep and engine wiring harnesses to clean it up and remove unnecessary wiring from the 91 Corvette tpi wiring harness.
Ordered a vintage air evaporator to fit in under the dash. Looking at the measurements it should just fit. I will either loose some or all of the glove box space.

Attachments

• part0.jpg
    part0.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 5