• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Screwing into the steering column 83 Jeep Scrambler

zdatjeep

Basic User
City
merritt island
State
fl
Hi, I am wanting to mount small tachometer onto my steering column.
I was hoping someone with the knowledge of what the inside looks like can say its ok or not.
If I use a small sheet metal screw so it only protrudes inside the column shell less than 1/4 inch should I be ok? I just dont want to hit any wires etc on the left side of the column.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
A hose clamp is unsightly, but in my opinion, a much better option than screws. :shrug:

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
There is a lot going on inside the column. I wouldn’t chance using a screw. Just my opinion.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I'd just put it in the dash and forget about a column mount (never liked the look of that).

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I would not screw into the portion with the ignition, basically the tilt portion of a tilt column. If you go down towards the dash, that portion is plastic and has empty space between it and the column. But it is plastic.

20190414_173505.jpg

20190414_173520.jpg

Wires are on the bottom of the column.

Best luck would be on the turn signal side, the ignition side has some additional plastic level with the center of the ignition switch to about mid way down in that plastic section.

Really, safest bet is to hose clamp it on.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I used a hose clamp and covered it with QUALITY(3m not harbor freight or $1 per roll stuff) black electrical tape first. Looks much better than a silver band around the column.

zdatjeep

Basic User
City
merritt island
State
fl
Thanks for the replies those are some good ideas which also made me think of using large black plastic zip ties. I do have some stainless cable ties coupled with some black shrink tubing would be a good blend... As the picture above shows, down towards the bottom there is a space like I had hoped but it is plastic so it would not take much to crack... I am leaning toward some kind of tie.