• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

seat belt anchor bolts

jmoose

Basic User
City
Homewood
State
AL
'83 CJ8...curious if anyone has a creative way to remove the factory seat belt anchor bolts? the fasteners are the lovely torx 47 (fine tread) & i have tried "rust eater" lube, air impact, extended pull bar, and three T47's later i still have original belts/anchor bolts. :confused:

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
HEAT HEAT HEAT I used my little propane torch to heat the bolts.
good luck!

grub

Basic User
City
San Jose
State
CA
Kroil. I was amazed how well it works. Just dont read the disclaimers on the package, or on the web site, or on the release for the pruchase.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Weld one of those stripped T47's to the head. This way you get both the heat and the fact that the bit will not let go now. Also adding a little PB blaster or kroil to the heat mix should help.

You are goin gto get rid of the bolts anyway right?

If tha tdoes not work it might just be time to air chisle the heads off and drill and re tap the threads.

Carl

Grantshire

Legacy Registered User
City
Richmond
State
VA
Do you have a "screw knocker"? No B.S., this is a real tool and one of the best tools in my tool box. Found out about it from a Willys Jeep guru on one of the other web sites a few years ago (he happens to be an aircraft engineer). The tool was developed for the aircraft industry to remove stubborn rivets when making repairs to airplanes and jets. It's an attachment for an air hammer that has a 3/8" drive shaft with 5/8" box end wrench attached to it. You put it in an air hammer, put the socket/torx bit/whatever on, insert the bit into/on the bolt, and squeeze the trigger. The air hammer vibrates the crap out of the bolt/screw and you use the 5/8" wrench to turn the socket with the other hand.

I have had only one bolt that this thing did not budge.

You can get one from Brown Tool Company.

Richard

txsbill

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
I had one I ended up to torching the head off of it. I then ground it smooth and drilled and tapped it to accept a 3/8 fine thread grade 8 bolt. There was no other way. The other one I was able to get out by welding a 1/2" nut on top of the stripped out torx head...

It's a PITA, but it has to be done.

Stouttrout

Registered Jeep Nut
City
Sour Lake
State
Tx
Grantshire said:
Do you have a "screw knocker"? No B.S., this is a real tool and one of the best tools in my tool box. Found out about it from a Willys Jeep guru on one of the other web sites a few years ago (he happens to be an aircraft engineer). The tool was developed for the aircraft industry to remove stubborn rivets when making repairs to airplanes and jets. It's an attachment for an air hammer that has a 3/8" drive shaft with 5/8" box end wrench attached to it. You put it in an air hammer, put the socket/torx bit/whatever on, insert the bit into/on the bolt, and squeeze the trigger. The air hammer vibrates the crap out of the bolt/screw and you use the 5/8" wrench to turn the socket with the other hand.

I have had only one bolt that this thing did not budge.

You can get one from Brown Tool Company.

Richard

Very nice tool. I have one too. If you have an air hammer try this. Take a cut off wheel and slice a notch in the top of the Torx head. the attach the chisel to the air hammer. Use it like a Flat head screwdriver. Basically a cheap mans screw knocker. Soak it with PB or Kroil first