• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Seat bracket - drivers side tilt

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Randy, this is EXACTLY what I have for the driver's side, but minus the welded on tabs. And, that is EXACTLY what I was planning to do (weld on some tabs). Both of my flanges on the driver side bracket face the outward toward the drivers door. Yet the holes in the bed are on the other side as if the flange should face the passenger side. I could drill holes in the floor, but welding in proper nuts would be hard, and the hole location would also blast through some structural member underneath. I prefer to not chew through things. when possible!

Sorry I haven't posted pics of mine yet (it's been a busy summer!).

And I've always wondered why I got a slider on the driver seat and NOT on the passenger seat. Was that the factory set up?
Make sure you actually have a drivers side bracket. It sits about 2” lower than the passenger side. I guess the best way to tell if you actually have a drivers side bracket is if the release faces the drivers door, you’re set. If the release faces the center console, then that’s probably a passenger bracket. They look quite similar…

MomoJeep

Basic User
City
Seattle
State
WA
Make sure you actually have a drivers side bracket. It sits about 2” lower than the passenger side. I guess the best way to tell if you actually have a drivers side bracket is if the release faces the drivers door, you’re set. If the release faces the center console, then that’s probably a passenger bracket. They look quite similar…
Yeah it faces the drivers door. I guess I just have to accept that the floor holes on the right side don't line up, and weld on those tabs!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Yeah it faces the drivers door. I guess I just have to accept that the floor holes on the right side don't line up, and weld on those tabs!
Good. Don’t be worried by the tabs- that’s how the factory did it!

gr8dain

Hater of Electronics
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Great! Thanks!

Now what about a passenger side slider!? Why is it missing in the first place!?
Mine came with only a slider on the driver and only a flip on the passenger. Weird. But I moved the passenger seat rearward as I felt it sat too clise to the dash/windshield. Wasn’t moved much, but it helped. I was also lucky enough to find a driver side flip and use that. I did have to remove the slider eventually as I got different seats and tge sliders made the seat too high. So now my driver seat is at a set distance but will flip.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
My first CJ8 also had a passenger flip and drivers slider only. Took a flip from a CJ7 and installed on drivers side. Can not remember if I installed a slider on the passenger, I think I did.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I'm not an expert, but seems like most of them only came with a slider on the driver seat, just my experience :shrug:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I'm not an expert, but seems like most of them only came with a slider on the driver seat, just my experience :shrug:
That’s the only way I have seen them, but unless you really get inside you really don’t know either

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The height of the drivers folding bracket is lower to accommodate the slider. If you measure the installed height of both brackets, you can easily see the difference. The passenger side with a slider installed puts the seat up too high IMHO. I also redrilled holes in the passenger bracket to mount the seat as far back towards the bulkhead as possible. (I actually welded on some extensions and then trimmed the excess off the front.)

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
My first CJ8 also had a passenger flip and drivers slider only. Took a flip from a CJ7 and installed on drivers side. Can not remember if I installed a slider on the passenger, I think I did.
I did the same thing except I didn't do passenger sliders. I like both seats as far back as they can go.
I like the idea of taking the sliders off. May even get a tad further back?
I now need a tilt auto steering column. Swapping to Auto forfeited some room.. Also, I just don't like the slop in the current column (shifter lever). Is there a rebuild kit for that? I have several other questions, now that my 8 is a DD but I'll try to post to relative threads