Shackle length questions

City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
I'm just curious about 2 things related to shackles:

1) What is the stock shackle length for CJ8s (mines an '82, if it makes any difference)? I know mine have been replaced with longer ones, but I'm curious what the stock length is, bolt center-to-bolt center.

2) Daystar makes some 1.5" & 2.25" (respectively) shackles. Does this added length affect handling at all? Do many people use this method to gain a little extra clearance versus spending a LOT more money for a complete suspension lift kit? Are there any downsides to longer shackles?

Thanks,
Craig

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
SHACKLES

Maybe this will help you some,when you add a longer shackle it only lifts one side of the spring,so on a 2" lift shackel you will only get 1",the down side is that it also rotates your pinon angle on the rear,the front can get real messy since it is changing your pinion angle,your steering geomertry,and your chamber,I "STRONGLY" advise against using these shackles,the other down side of them is they put a lot of stress on the end of the spring,If you have any slop in your steering it will feel 5 times worse after the shackle is added-JC

bigjeepnfool

Legacy Registered User
City
Milford
State
MA
shackles

JUst be aware of steering problems and don't go with too big a lift or you'll get a case of the shimmies,this is scary.I've been in a few jeeps that have it. Suspension lifts may be more expensive but in my opinion it is money well spent.
IF you are going to do a shackle lift I recommend conferr with 3/4 inch lift,hasn't affected handling at all and it doesn't hit the frame at full compression like the stock ones do,
hope this helps,
-Will

City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
This information makes sense regarding the handling. Does anyone know what the stock bolt-to-bolt measurement is, though? I know mine are replacements (which look longer), but I don't know how much longer they are over stock. For the record, my CJ8 handles great with these replacement shackles & 31" tires...better than I expected it to when I first drove it.

Thanks,
Craig

txsbill

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
Stock Shackles...

The stock shackles are roughly 4.25" bolt to bolt. I just finished making a set of replacement shackles for mine and went to a 5.25" spread only because it allowed me room to put a support in the center of the shackle.

City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Re: Stock Shackles...

txsbill said:
The stock shackles are roughly 4.25" bolt to bolt.
Strange...I just measured my shackles this morning. I believe they came from JC Whitney (if I remember correctly from one of the receipts I got when I bought the Jeep), and come with 2 holes on the bottom. The front uses the top hole (shorter overall length), and the rear uses the bottom hole (longer/taller).

The front measures 3.5" c-c, while the rear measures 5" c-c. Is it possible that the front is shorter than stock? :rolleyes:

Craig

txsbill

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
Results not typical...mileage may vary...

I re-measured mine after I made that post just to be sure...Mine are 4.25 front and rear...However I will concede that mine may not be stock. The PO did lots of crazy repairs with whatever he had handy....

SurfnCJ8

Legacy Registered User
LIFETIME
City
Wilmington
State
NC
I just went and measured mine. I have an 85. Mine are 3" - bolt center to bolt center, both front and rear. I'm pretty sure these are stock , the PO didn't really do any mods or anything. It didn't even look like the top had ever been off until I got it.........

hope that helps.

Jimbob

Basic User
City
Germantown
State
MD
I think my stock ones are around 3" center to center. 4"inches sounds about right for YJ shackles which should be longer.