• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Shaun's 1982 CJ8 Build Thread

Shaunman1979

Basic User
City
Syracuse
State
UT
I want to start out by saying this build is going to take a loooooong time, but I am excited to do it and want to document the whole transformation of this CJ8 regardless of how long it takes me. :thumbsup: Well with that out of the way, on with the show.

The way in which I came to own this scrambler is a sad one for me. On 12/4/09 my father-in-law (hereafter reffered to as Dad as we never believed in the term in-law) Passed away due to complications following a heart surgery, he was 51. He was my mentor, my golf buddie, my car guru who was always there with advice no matter what the project. But most of all he was one of my best friends, and to me he was and always will be Dad. This ones for you Kev.

Little history of the Jeep, It was originally owned by my wifes Grandfather who purchased it I believe around 85, (so I was told). He was the one who did all of the wood burning on the interior pieces. (I am way to white to claim any native american background.) When he passed away in 2003 I had the chance to buy it and almost did, but my wifes parents decided to buy it and that was allright by me, I just didnt want to see it leave the family. Dad didnt do much to the jeep in the time he had it. He filled some holes in the tub from an old snap top, and he put some new bumbers on it, and its primary role was to get his boat to the lake. But he had big plans for it and started getting some parts together for when he started his rebuild. About 2 years ago the tranny went out and he opted to park it at the side of his house until he had time to start working on it. Unfortunetly due to his declining health thats where the Scrambler stayed until this year when it came into my possession.

The Transmission turned out to be just the 5-R shift lever, a $20 stop to a local trans shop and a weekend of wrenching and she was back on the road. So this is my starting point, first plans are to fix the floor pans, and the few other little body flaws. For being a utah Jeep the Tub is in pretty good shape.

This is my first Jeep so any tips or advice is more than welcome. As said before this may take a while but thats okay by me. Building a Jeep seems to be half the fun.

Running gear: 258 I6, T5-Dana300, Axels 30 front, 20 Rear. Not sure on the gearing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
That woodwork is awesome. Thanks for sharing the story. I miss my Dad, too.

webyepn

We be Yeep'n
City
Orem
State
Ut
That is an awsome story. I am in the middle of my first build as well (egg beater build) You are not far behind me I started about one month ago. As your's is it will take quite awhild to finish mine as well. I would love to offer up any advice anywere I can. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Pepper

Basic User
City
Waterloo
State
IL
Thanks for the post and will look forward to following it. Sorry to hear about your Dad. What an amazing project your are starting. Truly a family heirloom on wheels. Good luck with the build.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Great story, definitely looking forward to following this build. Congrats on getting it back on the road so quickly! :thumbsup:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Nice. That will get a workout!

Shaunman1979

Basic User
City
Syracuse
State
UT
Well got a little bit of work done this last week. I sold the full ACME top that I had and fit up the cab over top, as well as fit the new doors. I love the new look! I have never seen this thing without a top so its still looks a bit naked but in a good way. I was also able to get the title transfered over into my name so I could get a temp tag so I could actually take it for a shake down run. All in all it drove really smooth, no pulls or bad vibrations. At 55 it got a bit of a wobble but thats all in the front tires, they need to be replaced pretty bad, thats the next thing on the list before I take it out again. All weekend I was finding every excuse I could just to go and take it for a little drive ill be the first to admit it....im hooked.:D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Congrats! First drives are just awesome! :thumbsup:

All in all it drove really smooth, no pulls or bad vibrations. At 55 it got a bit of a wobble but thats all in the front tires...

Were you knocking on wood when you said that? ;) Don't be surprised if tires doesn't do much anything for it or even makes it worse and be prepared to start at the wheel bearings and work your way back to the steering wheel to cure the wobble. Welcome to true CJ ownership! :cool:

Shaunman1979

Basic User
City
Syracuse
State
UT
Congrats! First drives are just awesome! :thumbsup:

Were you knocking on wood when you said that? ;) Don't be surprised if tires doesn't do much anything for it or even makes it worse and be prepared to start at the wheel bearings and work your way back to the steering wheel to cure the wobble. Welcome to true CJ ownership! :cool:

I guess I should have been haha, When I pulled the front wheels off to have them replaced I found that the front brakes were just about on there last leg. It seems the Baptism into Jeephood has begun attempt to fix one thing only to find 4 other things to fix haha.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I guess I should have been haha, When I pulled the front wheels off to have them replaced I found that the front brakes were just about on there last leg. It seems the Baptism into Jeephood has begun attempt to fix one thing only to find 4 other things to fix haha.
You're doing great if there's only 4 new things!!! Anything better than a 1:10 ratio is pretty damn good! :D

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
So are there new tires on this thing yet? Where are the pics? ;)

Shaunman1979

Basic User
City
Syracuse
State
UT
WE PASSED!!!!!!!!!.....emissions and safty that is. Surprisingly enough it passed the first go-round which had me and the guy at the shop pretty impressed.

I will get you updated pics bigwalton haha, but I just found the same tires that were on the rear so they are 31x10.50 bf goodrich allterrain k/o's all the way around it (even the spare).

I drove the jeep into work last Friday just for fun (40 mile trip each way) and it did pretty good all in all. Some things I learned, on the freeway in 5th at about 65-70 there is no power, I mean nothing if you hit a slight hill that is going so up an overpass you can feel the jeep start to bog and loose momentum. I cant even imagine what a real steep slope would do to it. 2nd. when I first start it up after sitting it idles and has great throttle response. after it warms up and you drive it for a bit, it refuses to idle and the throttle response is just junk. you have to press in the pedal a bit for it to do anything and when it does catch it bucks a little. Anyone have any ideas of this Dr. Jekal/Mr. Hyde scenario.

I have been doing alot of searching on the sight trying to find awnsers to the idle issue and I am learning alot about my jeep. read up on things like the nutter bypass (not sure if will work on an 82), HEI upgrades and TFI upgrades and Carb swaps. Well I kind of had my mind set on doing a carb swap and the TFI swap seemed simple enough and thought it would give me more power and fix my carb issues. Well I was leaning twoards the MC2100 due to everyone talking how its a pretty easy carb to work with. Anyone run this setup? anything to look out for?

Oh haha almost forgot the Jeep Gods were smiling on me this weekend. As said above I had started to think of some upgrades I wanted to do carb wise. Well this weekend I was cleaning out my garage so that I would actually have room to get out there and work. Well I pulled my other project out of the garage a 1964 Ford Falcon, when I bought the falcon it had a 70's 302 stuffed in it, that in all my teenage wisdom I was able to fab into place and run for a couple summers. Well the car has been down for a few years and I have been slowly buying pieces to start a full resto on it. It had been so long that I forgot that ontop of that 302 sat a little 2 barrel carb and wouldnt you know it, its a MC2100 108 Talk about a lucky find sitting in my own garage. See I told my wife there is a reason I dont throw anything away.:D (heres a pic for BigW ;) )

attachment.php

Last edited:

Shaunman1979

Basic User
City
Syracuse
State
UT
WOW huge picture, Ill fix it when I get to work tomorrow and throw it in the post. but until then youll just have to click.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Cool! I remember I always dreaded safety inspection time...

Shaunman1979

Basic User
City
Syracuse
State
UT
So aside from the adapter plate, what else will I need to look for to complete this carb swap? Are there other things that I can remove having removed the stock carb? I remember someone talking about some computer stuff but wasnt quite sure if that was a later model thing.