she's rusty but she's mine

sommy36

rust adds character?
City
alma
State
mi
:cool: I finally found my Scrambler! I've been looking for a few years for a stock Scrambler and got lucky. I live in Michigan, so there aren't many that haven't been chopped up or totally returned to their base elements in the form of rust. I saw it on Ebay and promptly drove to Evart to get a closer look. It had a nice 6.5 ft Meyer plow on it (its for sale if anyone's interested), so I figured I could bid higher and knock the price of the plow off the top. I got it for $3950 (too much? who cares) and drove it back to Alma. No problems other than running hot with the plow. Took the plow off the next day and it runs fine. Has a rebuilt 258 and runs kind of ruff, think it just needs a tune up. Steering is scary, needs a new drag link end where it connects to pitman arm. Trans is automatic and leaks, of course. Floors are gone and I plan to replace tub or put in new floor if there's any metal under the rocker gaurds.

This website rocks! I've already tripled my knowledge in just a few casual visits. I'll try to get some photos up soon...

PS I've got a 70 Nova for sale now (red, 400 sb) there's only room for one baby in the garage.

RobF

Basic User
City
Barnes
State
KS
Congrats! You won't find a better resource for 8 info than right here, what are your plans for it?

Jeremy

Scrambler Fanatic
SOA Member
City
Carlisle
State
PA
Welcome

Ask anything we as a group will have a opinion on it. I look forward to meeting you at a event.

Otto

Boonie Basher
City
Tomah
State
WI
new tub ?

Congratulations to your new to you CJ8 :D

That is the color mine was when I brought it home last Aug. Yours is not near as rusty as mine. How are the tub mount brackets and frame underneath? I would consider keeping the tub and treating it with Eastwood after welding up any holes. A lot of people weld up the rocker area for added strength, anyway. The floor pans ALWAYS rust out and replacements are available. I do not know about the doors, no experience there, never had any. :eek:

matnic

Scrambler-in-Progress
City
Rapid City
State
MI
Again, Welcome from another rustbelt Scrambler owner! I think that is my Scrambler's brother! Mine was originally that color, same torn seat, same rust spots, same diamond-plate rear rust covers!

Hope to see you around sometime.

Mat

p.s. let me know if you are ever up in the Traverse City area. Maybe we can meet up for a beer.

jpdeuce

Basic User
City
Houston
State
TX
Nice work man...on the Scrambler and getting the pictures loaded. There's people that have been here for a year and still can't do that :D

Anyway...nice find...I think you got a pretty decent price on your rig...especially if you sell the plow successfully. I would consider keeping the tub as well unless you got some money to burn...it looks like the bed is in decent shape and you can get new floor pans from several places:

www.classicent.com

Nice rig though...congrats...and welcome. Look forward to seeing project pics soon. :D

bones

Basic User
City
Dearborn Heights, MI
State
MI
rusty??? Thats no where near rusty for up here!! Good find!

kbromley

Basic User
City
Wasilla
State
AK
Welcome

It looks like you might be 10 lbs heavy in the reflection. :D Just kidding and they were great pictures. I started a web site just so I could share pictures. You are a fast learner so I don't know if I need to tell you to use the search function on this web site. It really works and can save lots of time looking for answers. These guys have probably encountered every problem imaginable. I will be adding some CJ8 pictures to my website. www.old-bachelor.com

sommy36

rust adds character?
City
alma
State
mi
Thanks for the feedback.

I appreciate all the positive :) comments and after taking the nasty carpet out, its not as bad as I thought. Probably just need new partial floors and some reinforcing here and there. Any procedures for putting in new floors would be great. Can I leave the tub on and still do it? I don't have experience with welding, but my brother in law is a wiz with a welder in his hand. I plan to keep it stock except coating the whole thing with a tinted truck bed liner. I have a three wheel EZGO golf cart and did the whole thing with black dura-liner and it looks cool.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
sommy36,

I'm down by Grand Rapids, and part CJs out on a semi-regular basis. I can't help you with your "Wanted" ad for a Scrambler tub, but let me know if you're looking for misc. CJ parts...I'm close by. :D

I don't have any CJs right now (aside from my own projects), but I am getting ready to part out a '94 YJ.

Also, check out www.michiganjeepers.com if you haven't already. It's a great source of local parts and know-how.

Craig