• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Side Mirrors shake so bad i can't see...

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
I braved it and took the Scrambler today to a meeting I had an hour away in the city. After all, I was excited about the new blazer heater fan motor upgrade I had just finished and had to try it out. It was a nice toasty ride :headbang:

My side mirrors are worthless going down the road, they shake so bad. You can't see anything when you are driving 60 (my limit in the Jeep). They are stock, OE style. The rearview is fine, but I am an old farm boy that relies on side views, maybe too much. Is that just the way they will always be or are there other solutions, upgrades without going to YJ style?

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
If you can find a set of these, they work pretty good, larger area, not too shaky... however, they are incredibly hard to find.

20150927_185022-1.jpg

cb

PS> Are you sure you are tightened up good and the bushings aren't worn,etc.?

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
Certifiable, any idea where to look for them? Do you know who made/makes them? That looks like a good alternative.

I really like the grill guard on the green Jeep? Can you tell me anything about it?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Ill say this that the mirrors get a bad rap because the replacement side mirrors that are made (not in the USA) are 1/2 as thick metal wise in all dimensions and 1/10 the quality of the original mirrors. If you compare them side by side you will be shocked. I don't have any issue with oem side mirrors (driver side, because regardless the passenger side is hard to see and not so great to begin with) But both the arms and the mirror heads aftermarket flop around like nobodys business...and I assume that's what you have?

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Mine vibrate but not horribly. But what does not move is the big round blindspot mirrors I have on them. It might be because they are not just the standard stick on kind. They have a little ability to swivel/aim them. I think that helps. Because as I am at highway speeds, the vibrations make the regular mirror blurry. But these are perfectly still.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
This is why I use the latter Wrangler mirrors.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
If my doors stay on, I also like the later YJ mirrors. Once had an 87 YJ and it came with the type mirrors on the green CJ shown in this thread. Find an 87 being parted out and you may find those mirrors.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
I use the larger yj 1/2 door mirrors . Not correct but at least i can see...

Sent from my SM-N910P

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I have been thinking about running YJ mirrors on the mirror relocation brackets. I want to remove my chromey ones anyway. And finding the ones on that green CJ are tough.

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
Ill say this that the mirrors get a bad rap because the replacement side mirrors that are made (not in the USA) are 1/2 as thick metal wise in all dimensions and 1/10 the quality of the original mirrors. If you compare them side by side you will be shocked. I don't have any issue with oem side mirrors (driver side, because regardless the passenger side is hard to see and not so great to begin with) But both the arms and the mirror heads aftermarket flop around like nobodys business...and I assume that's what you have?

Yes Jersey, they are cheap replacements. I think I still may have the old ones, it might be worth trying to refurb them, replace the seal and mirror, and see if they work better.

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
Certifiablejeep, do you know anything about the grill guard on the green jeep? Who made it?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I contribute more than half the shake to the arm itself. The business end of the arm is so thin. Maybe you can refurb repaint just your arms and try that first :wave:

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Anyone ever tried to drop some weight down in the arm? I would think you could drop some lead down in there (fishing weights etc) and that would add some vibration dampening to them.

OEM mirrors don't do it, but the aftermarket ones are horrible about it.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Certifiablejeep, do you know anything about the grill guard on the green jeep? Who made it?

No idea where it came from, it was on it when I got it and from the pictures, very close to the time of its inception.
The whole Jeep is for sale... you can buy it and get the grille as a bonus ;)

cb

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
I want to keep my wife... another Jeep would put her over the edge.

I have never seen the curved ends like the front bumper has either. There is a lot about that whole bumper and grill guard i really like. Thanks for letting me ogle. I may have some good ideas for fab'ing my own now.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
The ends you can find on eBay from time to time... the rest of it, I have never seen another one come up for sale, but never say never.

cb