side rail detail

Otto

Boonie Basher
City
Tomah
State
WI
Need help with side rails.

I'm looking for dimensions for the routed design on the edge and the front side of the board. I need to know what size bit to buy.

Thanks!

2K1TJ

Still Scramblin'
City
Rockmart
State
GA
Well, I'm stuck at work so I can't check mine. I'll try to remember to measure them tomorrow if nobody else beats me to it.

canzo

equal opportunity annoyer
City
Alexandria
State
VA
dimensions for side rails

I took some pics of my rails (original on my 1981). The rails aren't in the greatest shape, and the pictures came out a little blurry, but you can get the dimensions off 'em.

I measured the wood at 1" thick. Looking down at the edge of the wood, from the inside (toward the bucket) of the rail is a 3/8" edge to the cut of the bit. The round cut is 1/2", leaving a 1/8" edge on the outside of the rail. Looking at the outward facing side of the wood, the groove around the inside is 1/8" deep, 7/8" from the edge of the rail, and 3/8" wide.

Hope that answers your questions. :D

Last edited:

Otto

Boonie Basher
City
Tomah
State
WI
Thanks, your pictures were fine and your description is the ticket.
The inside groove;is it square at the bottom or round? The bits come both ways.

Thanks so much for your help! :)

canzo

equal opportunity annoyer
City
Alexandria
State
VA
The groove is squared and the inside bottom is flat. Glad to be able to help out. :cool: Usually I just read in awe and wonder at where these Scrambler geniuses get all their knowledge from. One day I might be like them....(heavy sigh) :eek: