jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Nice parts rig! ...if I could count the amount of CJs i have parted out with Uniroyal Laredo tires on them...I would use more than one hand. wheels look like they will clean up minty. Parts Monkey approved. (y)

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Made some room last night and got to the disassembly... it was quite warm out there, but made some good progress.

The 4 wheels that were on it will clean up great, the spare has a very strange spot on it where water must have eaten through the clear coat and affected the chrome a bit... but once it is stripped, we will see.

20200616_183205_resized.jpg

20200616_165727_resized.jpg

2 of the rims have algae/moss on them, 2 of them must have been facing away from the moisture source as they are in really nice shape.
I will dismount them and strip them and see how it goes.

2 of the center caps came off without issue, the other had some snapped screws.

The Jeep is an oddball for sure... I got all the hood hardware off without issue and is the cleanest I have ever had, but yet I couldn't lower the windshield easily as the knobs free spun as they capture nuts broke off behind the dash panel.

cb

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
And don't forget the black plastic around the gauges. Reproductions are so glossy.
Yeah...for sure! The OEM ones felt like a plastic casting, while these new repops feel like something I would make as a kid with my Vac-U-Form set! Watch the video! It says you can make Jeeps!

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Check out Randy throwing out the "retro" 3D printer. My how times have changed...
Between that and Creepy Crawlers I was a busy kid. I used to love making stuff. I remember making custom bodies for my slot cars with the Vacu-Form.

Those toys would never fly today. Open heating elements? Oh the horrors!

This has got me thinking about building a larger one to make kydex holsters!

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Man I loved slot cars ! Remember my older brother bringing me to a big indoor track a couple of times back around 1969 in the big near by big town.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
windshield any good?
Someone has asked about it before you, so waiting on the answer on it.
It definitely is a replacement, but looks to be an early replacement as the sticker on the glass is from 2011.
There is a hole in one of the corners where the gasket was where water pooled.

If the other person doesn't want it, I will get back to you.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Had a few hours to work on the tear down of the Laredo after fixing up the A/C on Saturday morning... got a little toasty in the attic... supposed to be 85-90 the next 10 days with no sight of rain, so I am glad I got that checked off the list.

20200621_160427_resized.jpg

20200621_160441_resized.jpg

There really isn't much of this body left, so it is coming apart pretty easily with the sawzall... I got the rear mudflaps off and forgot to snap a picture for the workbench... I saw something I have never seen on a set of mudflaps and wanted to share... will do that tonight.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I was laughing to myself as the fillowing pictures were piles #5 and #6 that I cleaned up yesterday.
I was thinking how this statement "Ran when I parked it" relates well to the "there is very little rust on it"... if you ever want to see if a Jeep has rust on it... put a blade on a sawzall and do a small cut somewhere... it shakes an amazing amount of debris out of the underside...

20200621_154555.jpg

20200621_154551.jpg

cb

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I think we've all had to sweep up after our Jeeps at some point or another. It seems that I always miss that one small tiny bit that wedges under one of the dolly wheels and stops it cold, sorta like the grocery cart wheel. Rock on up there and stay hydrated!

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
More tear down... coming apart pretty easily, but I am losing more fluid than a leaking rear main on a 258... super Hazy/Hot/Humid for June... I am sure the global warming talk will start up as the virus talk goes down ;)

20200622_183549_resized.jpg

20200622_183535_resized.jpg

cb

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I'm out there sweating to the oldies as well. The thing is you get a little "glaze" on you then the dirt, grinder dust, cut off wheel crumbs all stick to you. I took a "pool bath" yesterday afternoon when I finished up for the day!