• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

SJScrambler - Getting Started

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I think this is the 2nd time I have had a double letter...

20200623_171527_resized.jpg

Trac-loc a 2.73? Not sure why you wouldn't want to have a 3.31 or 3.54, but still neat.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Rough life...

20200623_175817_resized.jpg

20200623_175822_resized.jpg

That lower section had a lot of leaves in it, probably what caused a lot of that... crazy how gone that is.

cb

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
......and back to the piles of Jeep that you have to sweep up after this process.

Rust Never Sleeps - Neil Young

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
only the second double mark on the housing from the factory... I have had other axles that have lockers, etc. that someone else put in there, but as for the stamping, I think it is only the 2nd one out of quite a bit.

cb

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Man that grill is eaten. Wondering why only at the bottom, almost like launching boats in the ocean.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I was thinking it was parked downhill slightly and water pooled, but your ocean boat launching has merit.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Wheel stripping and polishing time... had to take apart the windshield frame last night as well... along with other misc packing up.

20200624_181954_resized.jpg

20200624_185448_resized.jpg

20200624_185453_resized.jpg

20200624_185456_resized.jpg

I didn't get any final pics, but 2 were fully stripped, 1 was mostly, 1 was just the back and 1 wasn't even touched.
It was hot again, so was taking it slow.

I got some more disassembly done... seemed like last night every thing I did, one bolt from the task fought back.

20200624_185758_resized.jpg

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
It is a paint stripped you can buy at Lowe's... not as good as the old stuff that had better chemicals in it, but it does the job... sometimes 2 applications... not cheap either... needs lke 4 cans @ 13 bucks now... so it is $50 to strip them... dismounting I was charged $45 for removal of the tires and disposal, not to mention the time to the tire place and Lowes, so now I am $100 more into these... but in the end, they will look a lot better than they were and hopefully bring more $$$$

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Klean-Strip-Kwik-Strip-Paint-and-Varnish-Stripper-16-Oz/1000659665

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
stripping...

20200625_173948_resized.jpg

20200625_173955_resized.jpg

20200625_181050_resized.jpg

These are mostly stripped now... there is some stubborn coating on a couple of them, and I ran out of striped
4 cans to do it to this point... need one more probably, then some #0000 steel wool, then the Mothers Ball and chrome polish... .then I have to get the bolts out of hte center caps and polish them out... it is a ton of work, but the chrome on these are nice.

There are a few rust spots, and the typical pitting, but all in all, they will show very nicely on a daily driver.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Got the steering column out last night... and that is the only other thing I could do... some of those bolts man... some of those bolts :(

cb

20200625_181653_resized.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
A few things... first, this is a honey dashpad, probably up there with the rarest of dash pads... second, I am going through a ton of time/effort to remove the paint to get to the honey dash pad... so it will never be painted on my watch.

Kidding aside, I would have not bought it and tried to bring it back if I was going to paint it... you can buy a brand new one and dye/paint it and save yourself a lot of time and money.

I have written numerous times in many threads on what it takes to do this... essentially it is a science experiment as you have no idea what they used to paint the black on it, so you need to dig into your bag of tricks and figure out what cleaner/degreaser/stripper/etc. will best do the job and most importantly, you can't rush it... go slow.

cb

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
cb where or who sell brand new ? What is the quality ? Luckily mine is a 9 or 9.5 out of 10 and black. Nothing lasts forever so I might want to get one while the getting is good.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
cb where or who sell brand new ? What is the quality ? Luckily mine is a 9 or 9.5 out of 10 and black. Nothing lasts forever so I might want to get one while the getting is good.

Google is your friend: https://www.quadratec.com/products/...H19OMO5h8r30-Ko2VnsOd9IB9bPJnqp4aAqV8EALw_wcB

They are all over eBay as well, especially in grey, which is probably a good color to dye/paint.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dash-Pad-G...809662&hash=item2f2698f89a:g:G0QAAOSw2AtevqPd

cb

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Ah, I understand it a little more now. Are the black areas where the honey is worn through?