• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Slate Blue 1983 Base to SR Restoration

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Received the slate blue Scrambler that we discussed in this post:
https://www.cj-8.com/threads/1983-cj8-jeep-scrambler-8000-sera-mesa-ca.49651/

This southern Cali Scrambler looks very dry and straight which matched my expectations from the additional pictures that the seller provided. Appears to have been left outside for years. Here are a few teaser pics below. It's only been a couple days, but the plan is still to repaint and restore this as a slate blue SR with slate blue interior. There's a very small chance I may simply clean-up and sell but love the idea of a slate blue restoration.

The interior pieces will be hard to get but the restoration will make for a fun process. The Jeep was slate blue denim from the factory. Driver seat is long gone, but the passenger has no tears - just plenty of stains. One of the door cards was pulled out but could be re-used. I haven't inspected the visors. Will definitely need a dash pad, too. Outside of the interior, I have some important pieces (rockers, white wagon wheels, and renegade steering wheel). The restoration will be a mix of quality factory and reproduction parts for the odds and ends. I will also need a nice half cab hard top. More pics and discussion as I move along.

Last edited:

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I’m excited to watch this thread. Looks like a very solid Jeep.

I am also on the lookout for slate blue interior pieces. If I find anything anything, I’ll let you know. If you run across an extra dash pad/wing window type, in nice condition, send me a message.
Thanks

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
More pics of the J10 in the background too!

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
The snaps show that it used to have a half soft top. Got any pictures of the interior?

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Overall are you pleased with what you got? Cleaner or worse than you expected?

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Only interior pic I have. Replacement seat and dash pad. Uncut dash though. F6973F54-5FE0-4C7A-8A2A-78A4D18321EE.jpeg

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Overall are you pleased with what you got? Cleaner or worse than you expected?

Right now, pleased. Usually, they are never as good as you hope/think but this one meets expectations after 2 days.

More pics of the J10 in the background too!
Not sure I have any of the J10 in the phone but will try to take one tonight. It's ripe for restoration, too. All original Laredo (including shag carpet) except for the paint which is sun-baked and peeling in places. I think the Scrambler pushed back the J10 restoration unfortunately.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Excellent that the dash hasn't been cut. I've got a new leather slate blue grab handle should you want to upgrade. I"ll be doing one of mine with the slate blue interior. One source that had the blue Levi vinyl doesn't any more. Anyone have a source? When time comes, I'll probaly use slate blue leather unless the vinyl becomes available. Love the blue interior. Don't see it very often.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Right now, pleased. Usually, they are never as good as you hope/think but this one meets expectations after 2 days.

Not sure I have any of the J10 in the phone but will try to take one tonight. It's ripe for restoration, too. All original Laredo (including shag carpet) except for the paint which is sun-baked and peeling in places. I think the Scrambler pushed back the J10 restoration unfortunately.

Deluke won't mind a few pics of the J-10 I have on my phone ...I used to own this one , found it in 2012 and it was also the same one on that crazy 3 Jeep rollback road trip from a Texas Ranch to NJ. I sold it to deluke when I found the cinnamon one. It's a final year Black Laredo 84 with window sticker and all the right options.

Attachments

• IMG_3946.JPG
    IMG_3946.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4552.JPG
    IMG_4552.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 23

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
DeLuke's had only 93k miles or so when I sold it. It had one repaint in its life which is why it doesn't have the Laredo stripes. Here is a picture of the cinnamon 84 along with DeLuke's. You can see how the Laredo stripes mimic the CJs. Then Jeep stopped making Laredos altogether on the J-10 making these both final year Laredos. IMG_8433.JPG

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
Sweet J10's. I think quality J10's are harder to find than CJ's but that my opinion.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Sweet J10's. I think quality J10's are harder to find than CJ's but that my opinion.

You are 1000 percent correct. And they just didnt make as many. used hard like a truck, put away wet, and notorious rust problems. A bad recipe.