• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Smaller tires

jeepers 1940

Legacy Registered User
City
Madison
State
MS
I began my Jeep travails 17 years, 4 days ago with the purchase of an '83 CJ-7 from its original owner. It had oversize tires on it as it was used, among other things, for hunting in muddy Louisiana swamps. I stayed with oversize tires on it out of inertia as much as anything else, putting up with the hard ride on pavement all these years.
Yesterday I completed the transition to stock size tires, with a pair of Goodyear RT/S radials on the rear completing a set of four. In my opinion, the change was well worth the cost of the tires (less than $ 100 each). The ride and handling was improved and I can now enjoy driving the Jeep much more than before. It's nice to be able to take off in first gear without the well-tuned engine still wanting to 'bog down' as I start off.
I realize that stock size tires aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I have no reservations about making the change. It's interesting to finally get a good idea of how my nearly stock Renegade drove and handled when it was new, some 27 years or so ago.

Last edited:

Robert Slone

Legacy Registered User
City
Spring Hope
State
NC
On my last purchase of tires I dropped from 33's to 31's. Prior to that I dropped the lift from about 6" to 2 1/2". It's made a world of difference with the handling. My off roading is not at all extreme so I really didn't need all that. It's nice to be able to stay in your own lane :thumbsup:

jeepers 1940

Legacy Registered User
City
Madison
State
MS
I know what you mean, Robert, about being able to stay in your own lane. I too feel that I have much better control of my Jeep. My off-roading is now almost nonexistent, but I still very much enjoy driving my two CJ's around town. :)
Bill

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
This is good to read. I have been ponering this idea for awhile now. My CJ5 will never off road again and the lift with 33's after 20 years is getting very old. I was planning on getting rid of the lift and buying some new replacement springs as well as drop to 31x10.50's on 8 inch rims. I am also going to get some gas charged shocks to help. Thanks fro your review on this subject. All the other sites I have asked this question to the people seem to ignore it.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I'm all for doing whatever you want to your Jeep, I've seen a lot of Scramblers for sale that were lifted that I would have brought down and put smaller tires on if I bought them.

Do whatever makes you happy! Smaller tires certainly decrease the potential for problems IMHO (not that larger tires can't be done well/right).

So can we see some before/after pictures? :D

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Shameless plug of my Sherwood Green '83:thumbsup:

IMG_00301-1.jpg

It has 30 x 9.50 x 15 Bridgestone Dueller HT's. This Scrambler rides and handles like a car. I plan on keeping this one as close as stock to possible. I love my lifted, big tired Jeeps, but it is very relaxing driving this one. No tire noise, bump steer, good gas mileage, etc:thumbsup:

Last edited:

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
That is a fantastic looking Scrambler. Thanks for the pic!

Orionn

Vehicular Packrat
City
Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti
State
Mi
Shameless plug of my Sherwood Green '83:thumbsup:

IMG_00301-1.jpg

It has 30 x 9.50 x 15 Bridgestone Dueller HT's. This Scrambler rides and handles like a car. I plan on keeping this one as close as stock to possible. I love my lifted, big tired Jeeps, but it is very relaxing driving this one. No tire noise, bump steer, good gas mileage, etc:thumbsup:

All I can say is DANG!! :eek: :drool:
thats one clean 8 :thumbsup:

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
Its pictures like your that make me want to restore my CJ8 to stock appearing condition. I say appearing becuase being a hot rodder at heart my built small block is slated for the rebuild. But damn how nice would it be to have a CJ8 that looks like yours but can smoke just about any car off the line and still rock a five speed to good highway cruising.