• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Solenoid question

wylder

Basic User
City
petaluma
State
ca
Couple questions. I was mucking about in the engine bay cleaning up some wiring and I found when I took the solenoid off the fender all four posts were hot. when it's grounded I get nothing. Is that normal? I also found that the bypass wire on the Solenoid has a constant 0.01volts, key on or off. I thought it was only active to boost the starter.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
What is your reading @ "hot"? The solenoid requires fender contact (ground) for switching. There may be some residual voltage but if it clicks, starts and disengages run it.

wylder

Basic User
City
petaluma
State
ca
I rechecked the solenoid and everything checks out . Jeep starts/runs fine. Maybe I was grounding out the solenoid somehow. One of those mysterious Jeep things!

wylder

Basic User
City
petaluma
State
ca
Jeep was dead again 10.4 volts after seeming to be fine for a couple of weeks. When I put key into start/Hot position I got 10.4v. As an experiment I disconnected the red/white wire that gives full voltage when starting and get 0.04 volts with the key off. I believe this wire is spliced into the coil? Next I'll check to see if I have current leaking thru the alternator and pull the ignition switch and tumbler. The alternator has been replaced once butthe ignition switch/tumbler is original and could be leaking volts. Any other areas I should check?