• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Solid Axles for AMC 20

CCFather

City
Westminster
State
Md
Guys

I still have two piece axles in my 8. I want to stay simple and stock as possible.

Will solid axles allow me to do some lite duty wheeling.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Don’t know first hand, but I have heard solid axles and a truss makes the amc20 stronger than a d44, but not as strong as a d60. Take this with a grain of salt since I’ve got no first hand experience with it.

Searchers out of Louisiana sells a truss kit for the amc20.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Searchers is great. Phillip is a legit engineer and puts out some incredible work. He's about five minutes from me.

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
After not knowing enough to maintain (retorque) the hubs on my original two-piece axles over a twenty year period, I finally spun one on my 7. I went back in with the Mosers, and have been very pleased. Although I'm not a heavy wheeler, the AMC 20 has been strong enough for me (some towing and mired in several mudholes). Searchers was just getting started when I left BR, but admire their work and would strongly consider using them if hopping rocks was my bag.

Hoov

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
When you weld the tubes to the center section. Do NOT weld all the way around. Do 4 one inch long welds. As far as one piece axles, I have definitely heard a lot of great things about Misers. I personally have 10 Factory axles. They were $100 cheaper and they work great.

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
When you weld the tubes to the center section. Do NOT weld all the way around. Do 4 one inch long welds. As far as one piece axles, I have definitely heard a lot of great things about Misers. I personally have 10 Factory axles. They were $100 cheaper and they work great.

Given that my axles are about to come out of the scrambler I'm building, I'd like to reinforce those tubes with welds. This may be considered a noob question, but can they be safely made without disassembling the axle? Or would the heat potentially cause damage to the carrier/bearings?

Hoov

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
That is the reason why you don't weld all the way around. It builds up too much heat. The 4 stitch welds are more than enough. Install the one peice axles and you are good to go. If you start wheeling hard enough to require a truss, I personally would be looking at something a whole lot more heavy duty than an AMC 20. Just my opinion.

Hoover

Bronzed Member
Lifetime Member
City
Livingston
State
AL
Thanks, makes sense on the stitch welds. As for heavy wheeling, I've heard the same suggestions from others on the 20, especially from a cost perspective. Mine hasn't let me down yet, but it only takes the one time-

Hoov

Summerlovin

City
Allentown
State
Nj
When I bought mine, the previous owner did the single piece axle. The two piece axles, from what I’ve read, can fall out. Single axle removes that weak point.
The axle tubes are thin and have been known to rotate from the housing, which is corrected by what Ron said above, do four 1” inch welds, and alternate the welds to each tube to minimize warping. Again, searchers has a nice truss kit, assembled or diy.
The gears in the 20 are beefier than a Dana 44. And when it has welded tubes, a truss and single piece axles, they are just as good, if not better than a 44.
A truss is in my future for my cj8, but with the limited off roading around my way, it’s a low priority