Someone talk me outta this... Maybe

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
So, Me being Me, I for some odd reason can not leave things alone. I've got this hair brained idea(wife said it was) to take motor, trans and tcase out of the Cherokee I just got and put it into the Scrambler. Plain and simple, been done thousands of times, right? Great upgrade and fairly easy swap. Now for the talk me outta it part. If i swap the Cherokee stuff into the Scrambler taht leaves me with a perfectly good rolling vehicle that needs a power plant, well I just happen to have a BB 440/727/205 sitting on the floor of the garage. Weld in some plating on the unibody up front and some cross braces and stiffeners for the rest of the body and, well...

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
this is not going to help... but whats stopping your from putting the 440/727 and mate that up to a dana 300 and put that in the scrambler? and leaving the cherokee alone.

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
440/727/205 in Scram. One less swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
Trust me I've thought about doing the 440 into the 8, but unless I can find a mint frame that hasn't been cracked in 3 places and patched I won't do it. My frame is already compromised and well I like driving it on the street not sure how well it would drive with almost 400hp as a cruiser

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
Oh yeah and I just dropped close to a grand on Tom Woods Driveshafts a couple months ago so don't really wanna toss them in the scrap pile quite yet.

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
440/727/205 in Scram. One less swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
your right for simplicity one less swap; but the dana 300 is smaller, and lower 4wd low ratio, and lighter. but would cause an extra step and possibly and adapter.

np205 is 1.96 low range ratio, 130-140lbs dry.
dana 300 is 2.62 low range ratio, 85 lbs.

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
your right for simplicity one less swap; but the dana 300 is smaller, and lower 4wd low ratio, and lighter. but would cause an extra step and possibly and adapter.

np205 is 1.96 low range ratio, 130-140lbs dry.
dana 300 is 2.62 low range ratio, 85 lbs.
I could fix the gear variance by doing a 205/300 doubler setup,I also have a few extra 300s sitting around...

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
Trust me I've thought about doing the 440 into the 8, but unless I can find a mint frame that hasn't been cracked in 3 places and patched I won't do it. My frame is already compromised and well I like driving it on the street not sure how well it would drive with almost 400hp as a cruiser
thats kind of the nice thing about having a bad frame (unless its 100% shot), plate it and brace it as needed it will be much stronger then factory. Factory frames are weak IMO. Even in like new condition. Id be ok with a factory frame if I were building a 100% oem stock jeep. And I'd hate to cute and weld up a good oem frame for a costume build knowing I was going to have to plate it to handle the bigger motor, bigger heavier axles, extra equipment (full rollcage, winch, larger tire carrier...), larger tires, and support an aftermarket suspension that was not designed for the factory frame. I'm in the middle or beginning of a build (feels like it will never end) and I started with a good frame (only had to fix the back crossmember and two or three body mounts) and I will be plating it to account for the bigger motor, bigger axles, bigger tires, more weight...

If you've been around enough jeeps you will see they all lean on way or another. and some even with factory setups. The oem frame is weak IMO. The TDK frame, and the Matkins frame are great platforms to build off of. But in your case I'd plate and brace what you have and put that 440 in it...

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
thats kind of the nice thing about having a bad frame (unless its 100% shot), plate it and brace it as needed it will be much stronger then factory. Factory frames are weak IMO. Even in like new condition. Id be ok with a factory frame if I were building a 100% oem stock jeep. And I'd hate to cute and weld up a good oem frame for a costume build knowing I was going to have to plate it to handle the bigger motor, bigger heavier axles, extra equipment (full rollcage, winch, larger tire carrier...), larger tires, and support an aftermarket suspension that was not designed for the factory frame. I'm in the middle or beginning of a build (feels like it will never end) and I started with a good frame (only had to fix the back crossmember and two or three body mounts) and I will be plating it to account for the bigger motor, bigger axles, bigger tires, more weight...

If you've been around enough jeeps you will see they all lean on way or another. and some even with factory setups. The oem frame is weak IMO. The TDK frame, and the Matkins frame are great platforms to build off of. But in your case I'd plate and brace what you have and put that 440 in it...
Good points, and I like the way you think, but then again how many BB Cherokees have you seen, I've never seen one, but Google does tell me that it has been done.

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
Good points, and I like the way you think, but then again how many BB Cherokees have you seen, I've never seen one, but Google does tell me that it has been done.
just picture this: sunny day, top down doors off (which you can only do in the cj8), hair blowing in the wind, and the thunder from that 440 roaring in the background... oh and a heavy right foot with power behind it... lol

I guess you could chop the top of the cherokee and take the doors off, but that has been done before also. lol

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Why not.....cooling issues = lack of space for decent sized radiator.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
If you're saying the Scrambler frame is compromised already, what do you call a unibody never meant to hold that much power? The effort you'd go through to make the unibody stand up vs. working on a Scrambler frame.

I'm all for a nice 4.0L in CJs (obviously,) but just not sure I'd bother with the effort on the leftover XJ. Part it out and find something to do with the cash. :shrug:

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
If you're saying the Scrambler frame is compromised already, what do you call a unibody never meant to hold that much power? The effort you'd go through to make the unibody stand up vs. working on a Scrambler frame.

I'm all for a nice 4.0L in CJs (obviously,) but just not sure I'd bother with the effort on the leftover XJ. Part it out and find something to do with the cash. :shrug:
Good point, yet I still think it could be a lot of fun even if it's a crap ton of work. I don't think I'll ever get around to doing it, but who knows. I do still want to make a flat/rat rod out of a 2a that I did plan on using the 440 for, but that may be a pipe dream as well.

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
I will most likely go this route, partly due to lack of funds right now to even consider starting either swap in the near future, and the 440 has already been sitting on the garage floor for 3 years and hauled up to MN from GA in the bed of the Scrambler, so I'm definitely not in a hurry to start any projects