• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Spankrjs' 1984 Long Term Project

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
This is my newest "project" Scrambler. I bought this Scrambler from a member of this forum, doznfire, who was great to deal with. This Scrambler is mostly complete, just needs some minor finishing work to get it back running.

Link to original "For Sale" Thread:

https://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29994

I don't plan on a whole bunch of modifications to this Scrambler, I basically just want to get it running again. But, I am sure there will be a few changes and slight mods along the way.

Enough of the talk, here are some pictures of my newest project.

A few pictures of it being unloaded, and the truck it came on.

0621-1.jpg

0631-1.jpg

0641-1.jpg

A picture of it with JeepAddicts 1984 RHD Postal Scrambler and a triple black factory paint CJ-7 Laredo.

0651-1.jpg

Under Hood shot, TBI 350, still needs to be wired up.

0661-1.jpg

Light surface rust stain at cowl seam.

0671-1.jpg

This is about the worst "rust" on the jeep. Slight paint bubbling on the driver side rocker behind the door opening. Solid on the back side, just needs to be knocked off and primed.

0681-1.jpg

The factory rear chrome bumper is slightly tweaked/bowed out in the middle.

0691-1.jpg

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
A few overhead shots.

0701-1.jpg

0711-1.jpg

0721-1.jpg

Front shots. I need to paint the grill to match.

0731-1.jpg

0741-1.jpg

0791-1.jpg

Passenger side rocker panel damage. I was aware of this issue. This kind of body repair is a piece of cake compared to rust repair. Or, rock sliders could cover this up.

0751-1.jpg

0761-1.jpg

0772-1.jpg

Overall passenger side shot.

0781-1.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Picture of the interior, with aftermarket seats. Not sure if I am going to keep these.

0802-1.jpg

This is about the extent of floor board rust, light surface rust on driver side floor, no rust through.

0812-1.jpg

Quick picture of the transmission shifter.

0821-1.jpg

Overall, I am very happy with this project. I need to hurry up and get the green "yard Scrambler" running so I can work on this one.

I will take some more pictures of it this weekend when I go to see it. Thanks to JeepAddict for all of the above pictures.

That's it for now:D

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Glad I can help. It looks really good in person. Nice stance and different look color combo with color matched hard top. All of the upgrades look nicely done. It will be a great Scrambler when you are done with it.

Bushmaster6

Legacy Registered User
City
the Springs
State
CO
here we go again :evil:

reallylike that light tank color combo, particularly with the matched full hard top, looks very "utility"

looks very cool.. subscribed!

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
/ / Appreciate it everyone:cheers: \ \

I am not looking in the classified section anymore:crazy:

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
I look forward to watching your progress on this build. Great starting platform.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
:popcorn:

How many rounds of polish with this get? You going to try to keep up with RM? ;)

I'm generally not a fan of matched color tops in most cases, but that seems to work nicely :thumbsup:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
:popcorn:

How many rounds of polish with this get? You going to try to keep up with RM? ;)

I'm generally not a fan of matched color tops in most cases, but that seems to work nicely :thumbsup:

No way can I keep up with RM:rotfl: I might try to polish it up, but I don't think that this particular color will really ever "shine":shrug:

This color is starting to "grow" on me. It has a "utilitarian" look to it. I agree on the color matched tops, but it seems to work OK with this color. This Scrambler, with the full top, is kind of like a "budget" Overlander:D

Bushmaster6

Legacy Registered User
City
the Springs
State
CO
if I had a full hard top on mine, I'd highly consider color matching it to the body, specifically for that expo-look (think LR Defender).. although my SL came with the tan/brown stripes/letters so.. the tan top would work also.

get some plain steelie wheels for it ;)

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
/ / Appreciate it everyone:cheers: \ \

I am not looking in the classified section anymore:crazy:

Are you SURE (!) you arent gonna be looking in the classified anymore? Really? :crazy: :rolleyes:

Seriously, congrats and this is gonna be a great thread to watch :thumbsup:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Are you SURE (!) you arent gonna be looking in the classified anymore? Really? :crazy: :rolleyes:

Seriously, congrats and this is gonna be a great thread to watch :thumbsup:

Ok, you got me, I am still looking:D:thumbsup:

Appreciate it:cheers:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I went to go see my newest Scrambler this past weekend. Wow:woot: The seller did not promote the good things or mention half of the new parts that are on this Scrambler. Appreciate everything, Kyle:cheers:

Picture of the dash. Looks to be in great shape. A new oil pressure gauge is in the back. Looks like he installed the TBI computer in the same place where the factory CJ carb computer was located. New Lokar shifter.

006-1.jpg

Rust free floor boards and bulkhead. The bulkhead still has the factory rubber seal at the bottom.

007-1.jpg

The only rust hole on the entire Scrambler. Small hole in the middle of the bed floor behind the bulkhead. It will be an easy cut out and weld fix. Strange place for a rust hole, considering all the normal rust trouble spots are free from rust.

008-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

Surface rust on bed floor. This is the worst "damage". I love CA Jeeps[:D]

009-1.jpg

Interior floor boards are almost perfect.

011-1.jpg

Picture of the TBI 350. Brand new throttle body, wire harness, sensors, etc. Just need to wire up the alternator, starter, and provide power to the TBI harness. Should just take a Saturday to finish up the wiring.

012-1.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Groovy bumper stickers[8D] Check out the chain on the gas cap.

013-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

Factory 20 gallon tank.

015-1.jpg

Four brand new 33x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains. If the matching spare tire isn't new, it isn't far from it.

016-1.jpg

All new exhaust, from the manifolds back. Looks like 3" tube, new CAT, new Magnaflow muffler and tip. I just need to add an o2 sensor bung on the exhaust. New rear drive shaft.

017-1.jpg

Factory steel doors are complete and functional. Driver side door needs one of the rods reinstalled so that it opens with the outside handle. No stress cracks on the doors where they usually split.

018-1.jpg

Jeep came with two new suspension seats. They have removable head rests, fabric covered foam. Pretty comfortable. They have the slots and straps for 5 point harnesses. I am probably going to install different seats, factory seats, that will look sweet with the jeeps existing color and stripes. Top secret for now.

019-1.jpg

New shackles, leaf springs, bushings. Four brand new shocks in the back. The driver side caliper is hanging loose for some reason. But, their are two new rotors, calipers, pads, wheel bearings, and hub seals in a box in the back. Parking brake works very well.

022-1.jpg

027-1.jpg

Close up of muffler.

026-1.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Warn full float rear axles. Aftermarket steel wheels.

031-1.jpg

Windshield frame has a rust spot. Will either try to repair this frame or replace it.

023-1.jpg

Rust free undercarriage, frame, body mounts still in great shape. If I buy another CJ, it will definitely be from the west coast like this one. The shipping expense is well worth it to obtain dry, rust free vehicles.

025-1.jpg

034-1.jpg

A few overall shots.

020-1.jpg

021-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

030-1.jpg

That's it for now.

Last edited: