• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Spankrjs 1985 Spring Special CJ-7

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Backside, showing the nuts:

View attachment 83524

Putting the two parts back together is a bit of a PIA. I installed the two parts of the headlight bucket assemblies together with the adjuster screws first, then installed the spring.

The adjuster screws have a machined "valley" that rides in the sheet metal "slot" of the headlight bucket:

View attachment 83525

Anyway, adjuster screws first, then the spring, back together:

View attachment 83526

Back "under the interstate bridge", recreated my "urban art":

View attachment 83527

View attachment 83528

Headlights adjusted back to specification. This simple adjustment makes a world of difference. Everyone wants to "upgrade" their headlights, I wonder if they ever adjust the originals correctly, first, before they condem them?

That's it for now :wave:

The relay is almost a safety issue...35 year old switch handling way more amps than it needs to...

Great work. It's beautiful!!

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Everyone likes pictures, so here are a few more.

I have had this Jeep over a year, took the top off it for the first time the day it gets kidnapped:

20200523_114643.jpg

20200523_114653.jpg

20200523_114702.jpg

20200523_114942.jpg

I drove it for over 125 miles on Saturday, trying to burn some fuel out of the tank. Got good and sunburned LOL!!! Jeep is driving awesome, last few tanks of fuel have averaged over 18 MPG!!! Sorry to see it go back into hibernation.

One final picture for awhile, at the kidnappers layer:

IMG_2462.jpg

That's it for now :( :wave:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Went and uncovered my poor Spring Special this weekend:

20210306_121357.jpg

Tommy has been doing a great job of storing it. He has driven it some and starts it up every once in awhile.

It fired right up, drove it around about 10 minutes this weekend, it is still running and driving great, miss it even more now!!

20210306_143217.jpg

20210306_170056.jpg

It was mainly a "work on Scrambler" weekend, but felt good to drive this one again.

Motivation to finish the red Scrambler project in my garage!!!!

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Can’t wait to start on mine. Love the color

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I went to Baton Rouge this past weekend to help celebrate Tommy's one year old twin girl's birthday, had just enough time to visit my abandoned SS:

20211024_132846.jpg

In a sea of slate blue, my turd brown SS stands tall LOL!!!!!!

The 10+ year old blue top Optima had to get replaced with a fresh battery, it won't hold a charge any longer. After a battery swap, it started right up and ran perfectly. I only drove it around for about 20 minutes due to a hard rain storm, but it is still running/driving perfect, so happy about that.

After it brief reprieve, I stuffed it back in the closet :(

20211024_135249.jpg

20211024_135310.jpg

I might bring it back home later on this year, after I work on some other Tommy Jeeps first.

That's it for now :thumbsup:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
It ran like a champ. We literally beat the rain by about 2 minutes. The storm prevented any real “Jeep Time” unfortunately

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Crazy how natural light versus shop lights change the color.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Crazy how natural light versus shop lights change the color.
In the above outdoor picture, it was really overcast due to the storm that was about to dump 3" of rain per hour!!!!

But you are correct, under indoor lights or bright Sunshine, it appears "lighter/more goldish", like below:

20200505_190207-jpg.83095

If it is dark outside, it looks more brown :twocents:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Can’t wait to get started on mine after the Postal

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Almost two years since I have seen or drove this one.

20230902_144921_HDR.jpg

Finally purchased a battery for it, installed it, won't run/start. It had 10 gallons of ethanol free/Stabil protected gas, but I'm getting no fuel to the carburetor, gauge reads "E". For some reason JeepAddicts climate controlled warehouse sucks gas tanks dry, no idea how, but it happens to everything in here.

Will go back tomorrow with some gas and fire it up after we dig it out!!!!

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
So, got the old Spring Special out briefly this weekend, really only two issues to report:

1) The Optima blue top battery that I purchased for $5 back in 2010 finally died, so I had to purchase and install a new battery.

20230902_095310_HDR.jpg

It also needs a new +battery cable end, the current one is broke in half, but still works.

2) It was out of gas. There are no liquid leaks, and the Jeep never stinks like gas, but sitting so long inside a climate controlled garage somehow made whatever fuel that was left in the tank evaporate out. This is a common issue inside JeepAddict's warehouse, has happened to quite a few Jeeps. It never smells like fuel in there, who knows.

Dumped 2 gallons of fuel in the tank, turned the engine over for about 20 seconds, it fired right up.

20230904_122319_HDR.jpg

The engine ran great, all gauges are still working (including the gas gauge that did read 'E" before putting fuel in the tank, should have trusted it!!), drove fine. All four tires are a little low on air, but other then that, no real issues, except I don't drive it enough!!

Of all my Jeeps, this one is my favorite. Need to get it back home, but that would mean a current Jeep would have to leave permanently. First world problems........

That's it for now :wave: