• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Speedo not working after stereo install.

onesourcemike

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilmington
State
NC
So yesterday I decided to try to get the original oil gauge working again as well as the original clock and a few of the lightbulbs. I also installed a brand new Stereo. I drop the AC unit and decided to go ahead and take the dash panel off. After few hours and a few oh $hit moments, everything seemed to work out great. I did notice when putting the dash panel back on that it was much more snug when screwing all the screws back in. I'm assuming that the back of the radio is now hitting the defrost duck. Now to my question, I know I should have tested everything before I put everything back together :banghead: however everything seem to be working great until I decided to take it for a spin. All gauges and lights are working but the speedometer (temp/gas are working). I'm hoping to just drop the AC unit this time and I'm assuming that maybe the cable came loose. Does anybody have a good picture of the backside of the speedo or could point me in the right direction? In a perfect world I would love to be able to stick my hand up in there and go directly to the cable and make sure that it is tight.

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
No picture for you, but similar thing happened to me. In my case, the speedo cable came loose and that's what your problem sounds like. It's a pretty thick, sturdy cable that screws directly into the middle of the speedometer cluster. You won't have any problem finding/identifying int. I could stick my hand behind the dash and tighten it back but no A/C or radio in that Jeep. That's all it took. You may have a little bit harder time due to the AC unit but you might try without taking it down first.

4miles

CJ-8 Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Here is a picture of the back of the speedometer. I had to disconnect the cable to get the dash far enough forward to get the pictures of the wiring, but you can see where the cable connects to the center of the speedo.

speedometer.jpg