• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Speedo removal

AfghanaScram

Basic User
City
College Station
State
TX
In lieu of getting the Team AghanaScram rig up to par, I am replacing the fuel gauge because it is inoperable. Hopefully, I'll replace the thermostat, battery meter and oil temp gauges as well so that they're all uniform and will provide just a better overall look.

• - I've removed all of the plugs on the back of the speedometer
  • - I've removed the speedo cable
  • - I've removed three of the four nuts on the back of the speedo

But now, I'm stuck on the fourth and final nut that needs to be removed so that the speedo will finally come free. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but the fourth nut is wedged in between the defrost duct and the speedo housing. I can't get anything up there to loosen the nut. I've taken a deep 10mm socket with 1" extension on it and tried placing it on the nut before attaching the wrench but nothing. Once I attach the wrench, I can't seem to get it loose. I've tried slipping a 10mm wrench over it just to make it loose so I can thumb off the nut, but there's no room back there because of the defrost duct.

Should I remove the dash pad, so I can remove the upper portion of the air duct, or will that not even give me access? I've already removed the stereo hoping I could get a better angle on the nut, but I was unsuccessful in that too.

I've cursed, I've stomped my feet, I've prayed, I've asked for forgiveness of all of my sins.............but the nut still wont come off, or even get loose for that matter.

Here are some pics so that y'all can have an idea of what I'm looking at​

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
Fold your windshield down and you can remove the two screws from the top that hold the defroster duct to the cowl, and push it to the side. You won't need to remove the dash pad.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I have had good luck holding a very short 3/8 quarter drive socket in my fingers and as long as its not too tight which they normally aren't, spin it off that way.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Fold your windshield down and you can remove the two screws from the top that hold the defroster duct to the cowl, and push it to the side. You won't need to remove the dash pad.

^^ This ^^

I feel your pain. Working on stuff behind the dash can be miserable. If it come to it, you can remove the dash pad and then remove the dash from the tub (just pull it out a few inches) and go at it from the top side. A few drops of penetrating oil wouldn't hurt either.

AfghanaScram

Basic User
City
College Station
State
TX
^^ This ^^

I feel your pain. Working on stuff behind the dash can be miserable. If it come to it, you can remove the dash pad and then remove the dash from the tub (just pull it out a few inches) and go at it from the top side. A few drops of penetrating oil wouldn't hurt either.

"Penetrating oil" you say....I had a stripper once.........................................................................................................never mind.

Thanks guys, let me get to it.

AfghanaScram

Basic User
City
College Station
State
TX
NOTE TO SELF: When removing speedo from a 1984 CJ8, it is best advised to gain access to the top two nuts by folding the windshield over, unscrewing the upper portion of the defrost duct and.....oh boy there they are.....right in front of my eyes.

Now that the windshield is folded forward, we can replace the cowl stripping that I removed from where the windshield meets the rest of the body!

Might as well replace the temp gauge since it's all out. This way it's all uniform.

LORD HELP ME FOR I DO NOT EVER WANT TO TAKE THIS STUFF APART AGAIN! (Although I will if I find an LED light kit for this thing)

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Have you seen the speedhut hotness? Don't search for it unless you have $400 you don't need.......

AfghanaScram

Basic User
City
College Station
State
TX
photo49_zpsc4855050.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Everything's back in and almost ready....just a few pieces needed to get the heater core in and bam! Anyone know how to get those knobs off? I replaced one with a billet one (second from the top) and the others won't screw off like that one did. Even tried holding the shaft with channel locks and turning knob, but nothing.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
The knobs on the cable pulls are not supposed to come off. They're formed to the metal shaft, but you can use heat (small torch or even a lighter) to heat the shafts and melt the plastic enough to pull them off. I think the rotating knobs have a tab on the back that has to be depressed to release them.

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
It's too bad they can't make the aftermarket gauges identical to the original. They are better then they use to be I guess.

AfghanaScram

Basic User
City
College Station
State
TX
The knobs on the cable pulls are not supposed to come off. They're formed to the metal shaft, but you can use heat (small torch or even a lighter) to heat the shafts and melt the plastic enough to pull them off. I think the rotating knobs have a tab on the back that has to be depressed to release them.

I was able to get the one off. I'm not sure why the others aren't coming off.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
You've got to get the shafts quite hot to get the knobs to come off. I think it actually has to burn the epoxy.

johnvezina

City
Austin
State
TX
How can you replace the knobs and shafts for a 1981 CJ8? It looks like the gauges you did and wondering about the knobs?