• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Spindle mount nuts (6 per side) torque?

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
The nuts that mount the spindle to the steering knuckle... I checked 5 different repair books, and even the factory service manual, and I can't find a torque spec! Anyone?

These nuts hold the front wheel onto the vehicle. Seems their kinda important. Yet no torque spec?

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Yes, but the weight rides on the sleeve.

Good point. That must be why none of the books worry too much about the torque.

I went and got new self-locking (all metal) nuts, and noticed that the torque to spin them on is about the same as the old ones. So probably didn't make any real difference getting new ones...(?)

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
I found a torque spec for 40 ft-lbs. It felt right.

In the book I was using it said the replace these self-locking all-metal nuts. My local neighborhood hardware store had them (Grade C). But the new ones spun on with less resistance than the originals! Less "self-locking" on the threads. So I opted to go with my originals. I see you can buy them from Spicer, maybe they make theirs extra tight?

Last edited: