Spindle Seal Dana 30 - replace(?) dilemma

MomoJeep

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
I'm replacing the front axle shaft U-joints at the steering knuckle. Usually when something is torn apart, I like to replace anything else that might be worn or wearing out. Seals are almost always replaced. But here's my dilemma. The quality of parts has gone down a lot these days, and even the quality of rubber itself (I believe). For example, nowadays they tell you to replace tires at 5(?) or 7(?) years whether they are worn or not, because the rubber is aging. Back in the day I think they lasted much longer (?).

So my current spindle seals (on the outer front shafts where they meet the inside of the knuckle - and they only turn when the front axle is engaged) are probably 25+ years old. However, they look fine! And the rubber feels strong, flexible and intact. I'm not worried about saving a few bucks, but I am worried about replacing a seal that is good with something that may be lower quality material! Sure I may be overthinking this, but hell, that's what makes this hobby kinda fun..

Who thinks the older rubber is actually better quality and would leave them in place? Who thinks it's best to replace "while I'm in there"..

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
What he said, I judge by how it feels to me. If you're cleaning things up anyway and aren't too hard on the Jeep, if they're holding now and feel ok, they'll likely keep working fine.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
For example, nowadays they tell you to replace tires at 5(?) or 7(?) years whether they are worn or not, because the rubber is aging. Back in the day I think they lasted much longer (?).
Personally, I think this is just a way of selling more tires. A couple years ago I took my Scrambler in to have the tires rotated and balanced (part of the "lifetime" warranty service I had payed for) and they refused to do it because they were too old and "not safe". They still had a ton of tread left and no visible signs of cracking/rotting. I went to the shop a couple of blocks away and they had no issue with them. Still have them and have put on another 20,000 miles without a bit of problem...

Last edited:

MomoJeep

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Personally, I think this is just a way of selling more tires. A couple years ago I took my Scrambler in to have the tires rotated and balanced )part of the "lifetime" warranty service I had payed for) and they refused to do it because they were too old and "not safe". They still had a ton of tread left and no visible signs of cracking/rotting. I went to the shop a couple of blocks away and they had no issue with them. Still have them and have put on another 20,000 miles with a bit of problem...
Yeah I wonder about that. These days the big box corporate chains will do anything to make another buck. However, there could be some truth to it. I've seen old tires crack with age and had a very old boat trailer tire blow out on the freeway. Hard to know what things are getting better and what are getting worse.