SR4 or Clutch problem?

matnic

Scrambler-in-Progress
City
Rapid City
State
MI
Yes. The Dreaded SR4 is giving me fits (go figure). Actually, I am not quite sure if its the tranny or the clutch.
1981 - 258 I6 - Dana 300
It shifted fine when I first got it July 2003. ever since then its gotten progressivly worse. 1st, it wouldn't downshift into 2nd (from 1st to second was fine). It would just pop out. eventually, the shift lever broke (got a replacement from someone on "another" forum. will never do that on that forum again!). So I welded it back (probably better than original). Then when I drove it to storage for the winter, about 12 miles, I was having troubles getting it into 1st, downshifting and not. 3rd and 4th seem ok.
I have messed around with clutch linkage, but have not jumped into the tranny or clutch. Not even sure if the linkage is adjusted well (clutch engages when pushed, but has to be to the floor to shift)
To make a long thread END, any suggestions on what you think it may be? I have heard throwout bearing, syncros going, clutch linkage adjustment. As you may gather, I am new to this Jeeping thing, but I am learning fast. Any help I get from the pros is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

City
Louisville
State
co
Are you sure you have a SR4 and not a T176 in there? 1981 had the T176 4 sp in them not the SR4.

The one thing that I have had wear out on my 1981 several times is where the clutch tube studs bend or break. That would make it really had to adjust the linkage correctly since you would run out of threads on the adjuster between the fork and the tube lever. The bolt that connects the stud on the Bell housing can also become weak. What I did there was drilled out the old threads in the bell housing and then used a full bolt with washer and nut. Not just the bolt threaded into the Bell housing. Take a good hard look at the studs on both ends of the tube to make sure they are not bent. Are the boots in good condition? Here is a web sight that gives you a picture of the clutch parts.

http://www.discountjeepparts.com/p085.htm

Other then that I would say you need to replace some syncros in the transmission. Or even worn gears from the sound of things.

Good luck.
TK

matnic

Scrambler-in-Progress
City
Rapid City
State
MI
Checked the numbers on the side of the tranny. Also has a curved shift lever (doesn't the T176 have a straight shifter?). I wish I had the T176!

I replaced the Clutch rod adjustment assmbly (the old one had been bent and had a steel pipe over it, sort of a rod skid plate!)

Would a synthetic fluid help? if so, do I need to replace the fluid or is there an aditive?

Thanks for the suggestions. this is how I learn.

matnic

Scrambler-in-Progress
City
Rapid City
State
MI
back to the top. Could really use some more help!

I beg of you. The wife will kill me if I can't get this figured out!

City
Louisville
State
co
Just thought I would check and see where you at with your clutch issues? Have you replaced anything else on the clutch hardware yet? Have you looked to see if the clutch fork is possible bent in the wrong direction? Did you look at the studs on both ends? I carry a extra ones around with me these days just in case. Have you tried threading in a longer adjustment rod?

Good luck
TK

City
Murphy
State
nc
Did you check to see if the tranny bolts are tight? You said it got progressively worse...could be the bolts have loosened up. Worth a shot.

matnic

Scrambler-in-Progress
City
Rapid City
State
MI
Clutch fork does seem to have some play up and down. Can it be replaced and/or removed without dropping the whole clutch?

There was one bolt loose on the tranny. Thanks! not sure if it helped, yet.

I had a mechanic suggest draining the fluid and putting in a synthetic (something "Purple"?) Worth a shot before dropping the whole thing!

Now I have a new problem/question: Finally found in Chiltons that to drain the fluid in the SR4 I have to loosen the bottom bolt on the tranny! What a pain in the A$$! Any suggestions on doing this, and if I loosen the bolt, won't it break a gasket?

Also, the D300 takes regular 80w90, right?

Newbie here, so ALL suggestions and comments are greatly welcomed!!!