• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Sramblers Equipped w/Automatic Trans?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
My rule , just based on exposure, no real numbers, is that about 1 outta 28 CJs had a automatic. It's not very common. For scramblers , probably less , because less were "loaded up".

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
SOA Member
Lifetime Member
Mine is an original '81 automatic, but I have no idea how many might have been.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
My rule , just based on exposure, no real numbers, is that about 1 outta 28 CJs had a automatic. It's not very common. For scramblers , probably less , because less were "loaded up".
Wow. I bow [emoji144] to your knowledge, but I expected something like 1 in 3. No reason as I haven't seen many. I guess my auto Laredo is more rare than I thought. Too bad it doesn't have many of the original parts.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
my '81 was also an original auto. still an auto but with different trans and floor mounted shifter now

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
My second 8 was an '81 4 cylinder automatic. Still have the 1/2 top I think and I know tonneau cover/bows from it.

Sent from my SM-J320P

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
My yellow 81 CJ8 Laredo from CA has the automatic. Got an 82 CJ7 with the automatic. Most do come with the manual trans. My wife has had her 81 CJ8 since 86 and she had an automatic swapped in after having back problems. Hers gets 18 mpg on the highway.

This is mine but i think the floor shifter was pinched from an earlier AMC car of some sort, they must of had some left over stock in the stores!
The shifter knob is different on the postals and on other autos i have seen its more in the style of the 4wd selector knob but this is what mine came with in 1981 on a UK spec RHD vehicle!

Attachments

Last edited:

jsteed

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
My VIN is coded for an automatic, but I have the 4sp. Since I have a frankenscrambler, I'm not sure if the tranny was swapped or they just used a VIN from another vehicle. In fact, I have yet to find a VIN anywhere on my scrambler.

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
Lifetime Member
My VIN is coded for an automatic, but I have the 4sp. Since I have a frankenscrambler, I'm not sure if the tranny was swapped or they just used a VIN from another vehicle. In fact, I have yet to find a VIN anywhere on my scrambler.
Three spots for the VIN - firewall behind brake master cylinder; right in front of the steering wheel on the wiper motor; passenger side frame under the rear wheel well. The last one only has the last 6-8 digits of the VIN.

jsteed

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
none
Three spots for the VIN - firewall behind brake master cylinder; right in front of the steering wheel on the wiper motor; passenger side frame under the rear wheel well. The last one only has the last 6-8 digits of the VIN.
Ive looked in all three locations and can't find one. The vin on the dash has clearly been ripped off. Just two rivets and nothing attached. Nothing on the firewall either, I think I can see where the rivets would have been, but again its been removed. I haven't hit the frame with steel wool yet, thats next. My guess is there was a tub swap at some point and they were removed at that time. Or it was stolen... HAHAHA.

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
Lifetime Member
none

Ive looked in all three locations and can't find one. The vin on the dash has clearly been ripped off. Just two rivets and nothing attached. Nothing on the firewall either, I think I can see where the rivets would have been, but again its been removed. I haven't hit the frame with steel wool yet, thats next. My guess is there was a tub swap at some point and they were removed at that time. Or it was stolen... HAHAHA.
Reportedly the one on the frame is difficult to read without some elbow grease. It won't have any more info than the sequence number, though.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
That was a new one to me, found mine on the frame real easy !

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
Out of the 10+ parts Jeeps I had they were all automatics. I couldn't get away from those darn things. Around here you can't hardly give those things away.