Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
Hey Guys, I am posting to provide some info that might help others with SSBC brake conversions on an AMC 20 axle.

As you may or may not be aware, SSBC went bankrupt and has now come back.

I bought my CJ-8 from the original owner who did a TON of work to it some 20 years ago or more. One of those things was to add disk brakes to the AMC20 axle using an SSBC kit. As I said, this was well over 20 years ago, and was probably more in the 30 to 35 years ago range. One thing he did, God bless him, was keep all of the instructions for everything he put on or did to the Jeep. That has been a life saver especially when some of the companies aren't in business any longer.

I called SSBC in May 2021 and worked with an engineer to try to find the calipers I needed. But, the new SSBC could not find / source the correct calipers for my kit and ultimately they told me that they could not help me as they did not have the parts any longer. I would need to buy a new kit or a different kit.

So, there are two different brake sources that SSBC has used, having changed at some point. I have the older version of A-130. I had called SSBC 3 or 4 years ago about new calipers and they didn't have any at the time (I now think they were deep in bankruptcy proceedings at the time) so the guy gave me part store sources to look for.

Older version: (My version) is using 1987 - 1991 Lincoln MK VII rear calipers.
Slightly newer version: Likely uses 1987 - 1991 Thunderbird SC rear calipers.

Be warned, the Lincoln Mk VII calipers are VERY hard to find, even from Centric. I actually have not tried a Ford dealer, but the Advanced Auto, AutoZone, O'Reillys, Napa, Rock Auto and Centric themselves do not have both calipers. The Thunderbird calipers have more availability, but it isn't great.

I am attaching instructions for both kits to this and photos of the different kit components.

What makes the kits different???
T-Bird Kit: Here is a link to the A-130-2 kit on Summit Racing - In the attached photo, notice the arms in the red box that are dog legged. Those allow the use of the T-Bird calipers, which have an integrated mounting bracket.

Lincoln Mk VII Kit: The A-130 kit (see diagram in the attached instructions) have the four black arms that are straight instead of dog legged. The caliper mounting bracket and the dust shield mount to these arms.

One more thing - don't make the mistake I did! Be sure to READ and FULLY COMPREHEND the instructions (this is critical). I did not do this, and installed the calipers upside down (calipers on the wrong sides) which caused my parking brake to not function and likely some weird pad wear. Glad it didn't kill me. Don't be a Jeff.

I also talked to TSM Manufacturing about a kit, and I really was kind of looking forward to buying from them. But, due to materials sourcing issues due to COVID, they were at minimum 8 weeks delayed which did not fit my timeline. But, they are awesome to work with and I hear great things about them!

I hope this is helpful! Jeff

Attachments

• A-130-2.png
    A-130-2.png
    663.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Newer-A130-1_2-T-Bird Calipers.pdf
    644.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Older-a130-Lincoln-MkVII Calipers.pdf
    328.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Not new, but you can always try car-part.com

DA58B0D3-5DE1-4FEF-94CD-24E61AE4480E.png

They might need a rebuild, but I would assume that is feasible.

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I keep forgetting about that source!!! I see they have a lot of Right Hand calipers too. Where did all the Lefties go??? :)

I just happened to search for right, left would show up on the left search.