• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Start issue

Zppy

City
Navarre
State
Fl
Hey, Going to ask this as it has been a long time working this deep into starting issues. New to me "82 8, Have had it for about 8 months and it is now starting to act funny. The first start is problematic, As in I broke out a can of Starting fluid... Then she starts. I had put new plugs in a month ago and it has been running fine, then a week ago it did not want to start. It has a Howell fuel injection with what I was told was a 4.0 Head conversion, HEI Distributor. I have run Seafoam in fuel and oil about 2 tanks ago and changed the oil. I also changed a breather as it was gunked up in the head, Oil in case is still showing new and clean. I am thinking it could be a pressure issue in the fuel line, that when I used the Starting fluid it caused the engine to drag fuel up. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Dave

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
On first start, are the injectors spraying fuel or does it need to crank a while to start spraying fuel?

Have you tried to “key cycle” the ignition several times without cranking to see if it starts right up on the next full cranking cycle? If it starts right up, it leads me to believe the fuel line is loosing prime and draining to the tank.

Since it starts on the “bottle” this points me towards a fuel issue.

Zppy

City
Navarre
State
Fl
You know the injectors are not spraying on crank, not even after many attempts. I was thinking that there might be a clog but a drain to the tank makes since as it really only does it after a night of not running. Thanks I look into line loosing prime.
Dave

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I would put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail to see for sure.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Have you changed anything recently? Howells system is just like a GM TBI. Make sure you have a crank signal wire. This goes from the computer to the starter to only get power when the starter is engaged. This lets the computer know its time to start the engine.