• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Steering and locker question

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
My steering seems to be wandering as I go down the road. Alignment?

The locker in the rear only ratchets turning right so I'm guessing that's correct.
The steering feels like the front axel is engaged, it's not. I think it's Just me getting used to big mud tires 💁🏻

The rear tire seems to be rubbing the exhaust under certain conditions, should I be concerned?
20220916_191802.jpg

Thoughts?

Mancunian

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
City
Bridgeport
State
WV
Not seeing a strap clamp on the rear hanger or is it welded? - does the exhaust feel loose at the back?

You may be able to pull the exhaust in at the back and away from the wheel ?

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
What kind of locker is in the rear? If the hubs are unlocked in the front and it pushes on tight turns a detroit or lunchbox locker in the rear will cause a similar feeling. If you coast through the turns you will hear ratcheting but it should stay unlocked. When you add throttle an auto locker will engage and try to push the vehicle straight.

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
What kind of locker is in the rear? If the hubs are unlocked in the front and it pushes on tight turns a detroit or lunchbox locker in the rear will cause a similar feeling. If you coast through the turns you will hear ratcheting but it should stay unlocked. When you add throttle an auto locker will engage and try to push the vehicle straight.
Yeah I have a lock-rite with less than 1k miles on it. Never had one before but with all the changes I wanted to rule out anything rubbing too. Weirdly something sounds like it rubs up front too (open diff no locker up there until I put an arb in it 😉)
Going to jack it up tonight and test steering at full lock left and right.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
This might be a bit late as the lock-rite is pretty new... I would recommend selectable in the rear and auto locker in the front vs the opposite. I have OX selectable lockers front and rear. I feel a detroit will actually steer better than a locked selectable locker since they are essentially a spool when locked. I won't say I regret selectables front and rear, but if I could or had a twin sticked transfer case I would lean towards the detroit in the front.

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
This might be a bit late as the lock-rite is pretty new... I would recommend selectable in the rear and auto locker in the front vs the opposite. I have OX selectable lockers front and rear. I feel a detroit will actually steer better than a locked selectable locker since they are essentially a spool when locked. I won't say I regret selectables front and rear, but if I could or had a twin sticked transfer case I would lean towards the detroit in the front.
Cool, thanks for the awesome info. That's what I love about this forum is the depth of knowledge specifically for our beloved Jeeps!
As far as pavement manners, if that's its normal behavior I'll get used to it fast 👍🏽
As far as future upgrades who knows for now, regardless I'm having a ton of fun finally driving it again :woohoo: :wave:
Getting a few Jeep waves too!

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I have always heard the opposite of this.

I have selectable front (elocker) and true-trac rear and don't seem to have any issues (other than if I completely pick up a rear wheel off the ground).

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I have always heard the opposite of this.

I have selectable front (elocker) and true-trac rear and don't seem to have any issues (other than if I completely pick up a rear wheel off the ground).

Honestly I think its all personal preference. I think your setup is great as the true-trac will "slip" when turning so the rear won't push the front on tight turns. You have the option of a traditional open diff or spool when needed up front.

In my experience a Detroit, lunchbox locker or spool will cause more issues turning in the rear than the front. Plus you will always notice a Detroit in the rear - especially on the street. A Detroit in the front will either pull the front through the corner or ratchet/slip to some extent. That said after wheeling with Detroits, lunchbox lockers, limited slips and spools.... All but one Jeep in our group now have selectables front and rear. He has a Detroit in the front.

I may have also spent too much time watching 4x4 content with Trent Mcgee, Christian Hazel, Fred Williams, Vern and Dirthead Dave.

gr8dain

Hater of Electronics
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
My opinion may not be worth much, as I have been open/open for 12 years and just installed a spartan locker up front and a Torq locker in the rear. So both are lunchbox stye lockers. I have two wheeling trips (4 solid days) of trail experience so far, so not much. Anyway, I am happy with that set up on the street as I unlock the front hubs when not on the trails. And I only hear clicking from the rear on slow and tight turns, mainly when backing up and turning into my driveway. On the trail, the only thing I notice (in 4wd) is the turning radius is greatly reduced as the Jeep wants to keep going straight, so I have to do some three point turns that others don’t. But I can also put it into 2wd for those turns and put it back in once done.

Would I have liked selectable? For the front mostly, yes. But I am happy with what I have for now.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Try using just the back unless you really need the front. If you need it, use it then.