• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

steering box leak

John

Basic User
Can anyone tell me if there is a rebuild kit for a steering box? Ex. O rings, gaskets, ect. Or do you have to change the box? thanks. John

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Those are tough to re-build and not still have a leak. Auto zone/Advance and others sell a re-build kit, but they also sell re-built boxs. I sugest getting a re-buit one and save a lot of effort taking it on and off trying to get the re-build right. I put on an AGR Superbox2, it was a huge improvement.

RJCJ-8

SOA Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rome
State
GA
I went with arebuilt box from autozone it was about $165 with the core, it was well worth it made a big differance in my front end play.

RJ

Dwain

Basic User
City
Baytown
State
TX
So, you want to rebuild a Steering Box

John,
First, the only place I could find rebuild instructions was the Jeep service manual. I went to 3 different "chain" auto parts places, and could not find a decent kit. Finally, I went to a "mom & pop" place and got one. When I tore it apart, the bearings ended up being just a little different, and a couple of pieces were not included. I got numbers off of the bearings and tried to get it cross referenced, to no avail. I even made a couple of spanners to get it apart. I lost a couple of the ball bearings, and had to go to a bearing house to get some (Free!). I got it back together properly with the new pieces that would fit. It looks really neat, but I'm sure it will leak (we are finishing a frame-off, and haven't installed the motor yet). At the end of the day, I've got a $75.00 kit, 2 days time, and $20.00 worth of gas in a $165.00 part. BUT, By God, I know how to rebuild one!!! I'll hook this one up and try it before I put the front clip on, just to make sure I've failed. Then, I'll go buy a rebuilt one like my cheap a@# should have done to begin with. I have become quite certain that I will never learn. Hope this helps! - Dwain

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
You'll be money and time ahead to just go ahead and get a rebuilt steering box-JC:p

John

Basic User
Your replies are surely appreciated. You saved me a great deal of aggravation. I did not know what was involved in the rebuild. I'll go shopping for a replacement. Thanks much John.

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
Glad we could be some help,i wish i'd had a computer and known about this site when i was starting my scrambler-JC:D

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
I have to replace my steering box also. I am thinking about using the one from a Grand Wagoneer. I have been told it is very similar to the AGR Superbox. I am going to the parts store today for a direct comparison. I will post my findings.

Later,