Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Hi once again my fellow Jeepiers

it has been awhile since I was last on the forum...I had gotten very disappointed and walked way from my Project
it started with a bad engine overhaul by a shop back in North Carolina...5 years ago they took in my 258 and when it was put back in the jeep it had never ran right, after taking it to several shops that were supposedly great mechanics and nothing ever really fixed, a friend of mine brought over his compression gauge and every cylinder pegged the meter at 40psi....should have been around 140, we removed the head and each and every ring slot was perfectly aligned ...can we say major blow-by

then the lower end that was just as bad.wrong water pump and so on and so on..what a mess..never the less about a year ago I grabbed a used 258 from a guy that swapped his to a V-8, and it ran a little better....so now the only thing the same between the two engines was a used Howell TBI ( certainly not a ding against Howell, it's all my fault for buying something used and thinking it would work because the guy selling it said so, silly me) ...I bought a new TBI from performance fuel injection systems..we have it on and it for sure runs much better so now I am on a roll to hopefully be driving this thing instead of being a garage queen...a few more tweeks and adjustments and the motor may be there until if I ever get around to rebuilding my previously rebuilt engine..except this time I will do it myself...Hey I can't do any worse than the last experts for sure

OK so now that I can drive it more than a qtr mile. the steering is sloppy...for guys over 40 think back to the 1960's ford broncos and chevy's that got loose and you had to constantly turn the steering wheel left and right to keep it tracking somewhat straight....here is where we are...new front end, new tie rod ends, new power steering box ( I know you can make some slight adjustments on the box with Allen wrench,but also know that is risky in itself).....and I know new does not always mean its right
I still have the old steering shaft...nothing done to it besides a little paint....so is there anything on the steering shaft that could cause this loose issue that I should look at before either replacing the steering box or making adjustments to it

I appreciate your feedback
James

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Is there freeplay at the steering wheel? Have someone get in and turn the wheel while you look at the steering components. Sometimes you can see where the sloppy connection is. If they turn the steering wheel more than about 1/8 turn before the front wheels start to move, then you have some worn or loose parts somewhere. Given what you've done so far I would look closely at the steering shaft (the bell coupling and u-joint are common failure points). Might also check the ball joints and the busings in your leaf springs.

manicman1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Thank you for the suggestions...fingers crossed it's an easy fix....I bought the steering box like 6 years ago during the frame off restore and can't remember if it was from a parts store or from quadratec

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Post up some pictures of your front end, steering and suspension, sometimes we can spot issues that you might be overlooking.