Steering stops

sxer

Legacy Registered User
City
Little Falls
State
Mn
I have an 81 Scrambler with stock suspension, no lift. 31" tires. At full turn either direction I get a clunk which sounds and feels like the tub oil canning. I am quite sure I can correct this by adjusting the steering stops to eliminate that last bit of turning. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It looks like, I assume from the geometry of the front end, that the steering is trying to lift the front end at that extreme steering angle.
Bob

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
I assume from the geometry of the front end, that the steering is trying to lift the front end at that extreme steering angle

What?

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Sounds like there's something going on with your tie rod and drag link +/- tie rod ends. Take a pic of your front, including those and your axle.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
I don't think adjusting the stops will help like you think it will. If you stop the knuckles before the box runs out of stroke, it can still "lift" the body/frame like you are suspecting...perhaps even worse with the extra unutilized stroke of the box. However, if your tires are physically hitting something, then adjusting the stops could help.

Have you put it on jackstands and checked everything to make sure there are no loose bushings or ball joints? Also, how tight is your steering column? There's a LOT in a several decade old steering system that can clunk and thump... Best to get eyes on everything first.

sxer

Legacy Registered User
City
Little Falls
State
Mn
I don't think adjusting the stops will help like you think it will. If you stop the knuckles before the box runs out of stroke, it can still "lift" the body/frame like you are suspecting...perhaps even worse with the extra unutilized stroke of the box. However, if your tires are physically hitting something, then adjusting the stops could help.

Have you put it on jackstands and checked everything to make sure there are no loose bushings or ball joints? Also, how tight is your steering column? There's a LOT in a several decade old steering system that can clunk and thump... Best to get eyes on everything first.
All rod ends and ball joints are new. I haven’t had the opportunity to look for the problem with someone else turning the wheel. I think it will be apparent when I can do that. The Jeep drives well. Wanders some but have never had it aligned. Did alignment with tape measure. I’ve had it close to 90 on gps without scaring myself too bad. I can feel it in the floor near the transmission hump when it clunks. Only at full lock. Tires are not hitting anything. Jeep doesn’t have to be moving when it does it. I will take photo when I get a chance. Thanks

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
If you have 31s on a '81 (narrow track axles) and the tires don't rub the frame/springs at full steering lock, then the steering stops are probably not the issue. Did it make this noise before the new ball joints and TREs?

sxer

Legacy Registered User
City
Little Falls
State
Mn
If you have 31s on a '81 (narrow track axles) and the tires don't rub the frame/springs at full steering lock, then the steering stops are probably not the issue. Did it make this noise before the new ball joints and TREs?
Finally got back to it. I had the stops out too far. The knuckle was hitting the stop before the pump was at the end of it's stroke so it was trying to turn some more and flexing something in the tub. It's all good now.