CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
Need some help guys.

I seem to have lost about 75% of the "power" component of my power steering in my Scrambler.

Stock power steering gearbox with M.O.R.E. bracket and cross brace mounted to aftermarket mandrel bent full rectangular tubing - so no, the frame isn't cracked and or flexing.

Gearbox has a small leak coming out around the main, bottom shaft that the pitman arm is attached to. No moisture above that on the box so I don't detect any leaks above that point.

After a 200 mile trip, puddle in garage beneath the leak is only about a 1/2 dollar size after sitting for 48 hours. So, not a substantial leak.

Pump is a factory style pump found commonly on 4.0L engines (it is a 4.0L, not a 258)

No leaks around pump and the fluid is at the "full" mark albeit old fluid.

No strange noises when turning. Just a loss of power in the system.

What do y'all think? Pump?

Just throw in a replacement pump and see what happens?

Only thing that's happened to it recently is that I detached the pump and tucked it out of the way when replacing the water pump a few months ago. Issues seem to have begun soon thereafter.

Pitman arm changed to a different one to handle the new geometry when putting the steering linkages on top of my knuckles - shorter throw pitman arm - that was last May though and only a larger turning radius.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Crud clogging a line/port? Have you tried flushing it through/changing fluid?

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Possibly when you "Moved Pump out of the way" you crimped the hose causing internal separation of the inner portion of hose, thus restricting normal flow. The first time this happened to me took me a month to find the problem. Second time it only took me a week. Third time found it same day and decided it would be a lot easier, less expensive and a lot less grief to be more cautious when moving the pump around. :wave:

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Garden Hill, Ontario, Cana
State
da
when you detached the pump, did you disconnect the hoses too or just unbolt the pump from the engine? Maybe you got some air in the lines? Try bleeding out the system.

Maybe the seal that is leaking in the steering box is a sign that the seals inside it are done. Maybe time to swap your steering box. If it was me, I'd swap a new box, pump and replace the lines at the same time. If there is any debris in one of the components it will get into whatever new part you put in. Also install a cooler and even a filter if swapping everything. PSC sells good complete kits, why replace when you can upgrade!! ;)

edit: more than likely Toby is right. ;)

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
I'd venture to say the pressure relief valve in outlet of the pump is bypassing too much fluid. Maybe something got stuck in there when the parts were disassembled/reassembled.

CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
Thanks guys.
Looks like I have some wrenching ahead of me.
I think it's probably best that I pull everything out - replace the seal in the box if possible, new lines, new pump and fluid then bleed the system best I can. I'm thinking that should do it.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR

CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
What's odd is that I never opened up the system, really didn't move the pump far when I had it unbolted from the bracket doing the water pump.
Toby is probably right, paired with a weak pump to start with.
Looks like my best scenario is to put a new pump and new lines on it along with the inline filter Randy recommends.
Trying to figure out when I'm going to do this since we have a little line of weather "events" around here this week and a possible local trail ride Saturday. It still works, just don't have the power, Captain.
Can't have a Jeep down during an ice event, but don't want a complete failure during an ice event either.