• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Stuck Ignition Key

B

brenner

Ignition key in my '84 - 8 is stuck in the "on" position. It will rotate forward to the start position and start the engine just fine, but it will not rotate back to the off position. I have to pop the clutch to kill the engine and then disconnect the battery so it won't drain! Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

J

JL in CA

Stuck Ignition

This may seem obvious but are you missing the little lever on the steering column that you need to press to turn the switch to off? If it is there, is it broken or not functioning inside the steering column? Sounds like that may be what is holding it up.

B

brenner

Re: Stuck Ignition

JL, the ignition key release lever is there, but it just won't budge. Refresh my memory - I thought that little lever was strictly for releasing the key after the ignition key was in the off position? I don't know how to check to see if some sort of linkage is malfunctioning or not. Will I have to remove the steering wheel, etc., to get down in the column?
I never had any problem with this before I put the '8 in "mothballs" (translate: neglected) for a couple of years. Then when I cranked her back up, this happened.

M

mulescj8

Re: Stuck Ignition

check at the bottom of the steering column.there's a rod that runs from the key switch to the real ignion switch mounted on
the left side of the steering column.it may be sticking,if it is replace it with a new one.you can check it by removing it and
see if it moves freely.the switch has a hole that the rod sets in and moves back and forth depening on witch direction your turning your key.insert a screwdriver in the hole and see if it moves easy or is stiff*make sure your jeep is in neutral if its a stick shift,because it could start with you hanging under the dash.NOT PRETTY-DON'T ASK! there is also some adjustment to this switch.mine did the samething last year.
JC Oliver

K

kleinen

Re: Stuck Ignition...I just have to laugh

I am sitting here JEEPless once again. It is waiting in line to get fuel injected (moved from MN to CO and the altitude is messin with my motor)...which will not happen until March sometime...this puts my wife and kids in a bind since it is one of our two vehicles and is desperately needed...BUT...no matter how inconvenient it is, it seems like us JEEP people will almost always make an excuse or make the worst situation work out...to save our JEEPs from the auction block (ie. wifes threatening to sell em')... ...I just thought it was funny reading this post and looking at what brenner has to do just to shut his JEEP off. As I look back at the problems people ask on this board and the places/situations people have been in where their JEEP has left em' hi and dry ya just gotta believe one of two things...either we are all crazy for letting our JEEPs put us through this or there really is more truth to the old saying

'IT'S A JEEP THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND'

than what I first believed :-)

Ride on

P.S. Thanks Danno for all your help we really do appreciate it! I will be in touch with ya!

M

mulescj8

Re: Stuck Ignition...I just have to laugh

to see what i did to my wife when she wanted to sell jeep.Go to page seven and read MY NEW SCRAMBLER AND OIL LEAKS
JC Oliver
MULESCJ8

B

brenner

Re: Stuck Ignition - still

JC; I tried what you suggested and pulled out and checked the ignition switch at the bottom of the linkage rod - the ignition switch slides with no problem - it's the linkage rod that is sticking. As i noted before, it will slide or rotate into the start position, and it will rotate back to the "on" position, but the linkage rod and key will not rotate back to the "off" position. I suspect the little "release" lever might be the culprit, but I don't know how to access it. My Haynes book is't much help on this subject. Must I pull the wheel to get down in the column housing?
By the way, I assume it's because of year model differences, but my '84's linkage and ignition switch was not on the left side of the column, but on top! I had to pull about 6 bolts and drop the column to access it - fairly simple.
-mud, sweat, and gears - brenner

M

mulescj8

mine was on the top left.sounds like your going to have to go inside the column.everything is pretty easy untill you get to plate under the turn signal.they make a puller for that thing that is suppose to compress the plate and the spring under it,so you can pull the round lock ring which sets in a grove,but with some patients you can remove it with out the tool.once you get that apart you should be able to see the switch and rod.theres a gear at the end of the key switch,sometimes that thing will get gumed up or it could be wore and may have jumped a few teeth.the key release and lock is basic it's apiece of metal with a notch and the starter rod connects to it at the switch end it has teeth that interacts with the switch gear,it my just need lubed so you might get lucky.if your wife will let you it might be easier to put a sheet over the dining table to disassemble where you can lay each part out as you take it out.
if youv'e got a clean work bench(but who does)it might be better than the kitchen table if your married.
hope this is some help,just take your time and make notes if you don't have a manual
JC Oliver

B

brenner

Re: Stuck Ignition - no longer!

I got my ignition fixed! Thanks JC for your last post - you were an inspiration and a great help. Turns out though, that it wasn't the linkage rod / assembly after all. The key core was bad. However, I managed to dismantle the entire steering column trying to figure this out! I actually got it all back together (with some fear and trepidation) and didn't have any parts left over - and it works to-boot! Thanks again everyone for the help.
- brenner

M

mulescj8

Re: Stuck Ignition - no longer!

GREAT!glad to here your back in business.
JC Oliver

Jeep_Bro

City
Southlake
State
TX

mine was on the top left.sounds like your going to have to go inside the column.everything is pretty easy untill you get to plate under the turn signal.they make a puller for that thing that is suppose to compress the plate and the spring under it,so you can pull the round lock ring which sets in a grove,but with some patients you can remove it with out the tool.once you get that apart you should be able to see the switch and rod.theres a gear at the end of the key switch,sometimes that thing will get gumed up or it could be wore and may have jumped a few teeth.the key release and lock is basic it's apiece of metal with a notch and the starter rod connects to it at the switch end it has teeth that interacts with the switch gear,it my just need lubed so you might get lucky.if your wife will let you it might be easier to put a sheet over the dining table to disassemble where you can lay each part out as you take it out.
if youv'e got a clean work bench(but who does)it might be better than the kitchen table if your married.
hope this is some help,just take your time and make notes if you don't have a manual
JC Oliver
JC- It seems like you have experience with exactly the problem I have. The rod that goes to the ignition switch on the steering column under the dash is not moving with the key. I've taken everything off under the wheel. I've taken the key cylinder out. I've removed the steering column mounting bracket under the dash. The rod is in the hole of the new replacement ignition switch. I'm guessing something is broken on the top end of the rod. How do I access the top end of the rod that is inside the steering column. Thanks in advance. I'm stumped and you are the only person I've found on the internet that references this specific problem.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
JC’s post is from 16 year’s ago. He’s still around occasionally, but it might take a little while to answer you.

Jeep_Bro

City
Southlake
State
TX
I’ve done more research and videos online seek straight forward but I can’t get the column sleeve off. The only thing different about mine vs videos is it has the PRND drive indicator on the column and I can’t get it off and don’t want to break it. Could this be keeping the sleeve from sliding off? It is loose but only moves about an 1/8”.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I’ve done more research and videos online seek straight forward but I can’t get the column sleeve off. The only thing different about mine vs videos is it has the PRND drive indicator on the column and I can’t get it off and don’t want to break it. Could this be keeping the sleeve from sliding off? It is loose but only moves about an 1/8”.
I haven't followed what you are trying to fix, but does this help with the indicator?steering.JPG