• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Stupid wiper switch...

jsteed

CJ-8 Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Ok. I get it, I'm not a mechanic. Or an engineer. But how in the world does this friggin' switch come out of the dash?!?! Mine has been so loose, that now if I turn the wipers on, it just spins the switch, which is of little help when it's raining. The chrome bezel spins, (but wont come off, despite prying) and there does not appear to be a nut underneath to tighten.

I miss my CJ2 where things were just bolted to the dash instead of being "standard-nut-torx-metric-welded-glue-riveted-soldered"

AMC is on my poopy list right now!

Last edited:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
There should be a little nut recessed inside the bezel to tighten the switch to the dash

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Been a while but IIRC there is a tab on the bottom of the wiper knob that needs to be depressed to get the knob off, then there is like a small nut inside the bezel that needs to be unscrewed (there is a slot in the nut that is where you can use a small flat screwdriver to turn the nut)

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Been a while but IIRC there is a tab on the bottom of the wiper knob that needs to be depressed to get the knob off, then there is like a small nut inside the bezel that needs to be unscrewed (there is a slot in the nut that is where you can use a small flat screwdriver to turn the nut)
This sounds like the light switch.

jsteed

CJ-8 Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
The damned nut was installed backwards, no wonder I couldn't get it off (the two slots were toward the dash). I thought I was losing my mind!

UGH. Well, its off. I guess I can't blame AMC. Another PO blame!

J

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
This sounds like the light switch.
Nope, just looked this a.m. and my statement was correct. Small tab on the bottom side of the t-handle knob and a slotted nut in the bezel. The light switch has the same nut in the bezel, but IIRC you have to remove the whole knob and shaft together.

jsteed

CJ-8 Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
I'm not sure why, but it appears this switch doesnt have the same pin layout as the replacements for sale... any recommendations on which switch to buy to replace this? Also considering going to an intermittant setup if I can source parts.

Attachments

• 20200520_002217.jpg
    20200520_002217.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200519_215443.jpg
    20200519_215443.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 15

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
As I remember the intermittent setup uses a round wiper switch for the dash and it is plugged into with a plug from the intermittent unit which your wiper harness plug fits into. I think this was first used in 1983. I don't know of any aftermarket setup for this and would expect you'd need some good used parts. Maybe someone else has more knowledge on this.